Why You Should Always Respect Someone With A Speech Disorder

The challenge of being different when everyone wants you to be perfect.

17
ctsinuscenter.com

None of us is perfect, let's get one thing straight here! Every single person on this planet has a flaw that makes them a little different than others. Unfortunately, in this day and age, if you have one minor flaw, society kicks you to the curb without second guessing. Whether it's big or small, any flaw is a big N-O to others, and one of those flaws is having a speech disorder.

Approximately 7.5 million U.S. citizens have a speech disorder. People who were born with this very minor issue have a hard time getting respect from others because people don't understand what it's like to be impaired. I should know because I have had a speech disorder ever since I was four years old.

Growing up with a speech disorder is not easy. I remember being in and out of speech therapy and having to deal with the bullies at school who think stuttering is "funny." It also follows you at your job. From what I've experienced and witnessed, people will give you a not-so-friendly look when they hear you talk. They give you a look of disinterest while thinking, "What is wrong with this person?" I can't even tell you how many times I got this while working at my retail job.

So far, you have learned what people with speech disorders go through at school and their jobs, but it is time for me to say why this is so frustrating. It goes back to what I have said about people treating others poorly for the simple reason of being a little different. This fact is what makes me question humanity sometimes. The fact that individuals with something so small as a speech disorder are looked down upon by society. It's very disappointing to know that this is the truth.

Here is why you should always respect someone with a speech disorder:

1. It is physically hard to have a speech disorder

When having a speech impediment, it is hard to produce words fluently and some people with a speech disorder feel a strain in their throat and mouth. It is hard enough to talk as it is, but it is even more challenging when someone makes fun of them for it.

2. Few individuals can cope with a speech disorder but others cannot.

The stress from the negative comments and reactions of other persons can take away confidence and the ability to go through everyday life with a speech disorder.

3. It is always to best to show common courtesy and kindness.

This is especially important to those who feel the most vulnerable.

I hope each and every one of you takes these reasons into consideration and think the next time you encounter an individual with speech problems. Having a speech disorder does not come close to other horrible disorders and diseases, but it's still not fun to receive criticism for something so minor as a speech disorder. As for the speech disabled, listen when I say that your problem is 100 percent fixable and do not let anyone shame you for having a speech disorder because no one is perfect and no one will ever be!