Why the modern day society lacks compassion

Who cares at this point?

871
google

The modern day millennium marks the innovation of many new outcomes in technology while also being a complete rehash of the same high depression levels of The Great Depression in history, yet with less famine.

The popularity of Finstas is the new modern twist on Instagram, creating the personal relation to their viewers by the initial purpose of only allowing certain close friends to whiteness your break-downs and emotional outbursts. Which after months of it's exsistance has been uttered into every teen announcing their painful depression and suicidal thoughts, though these claims lose their meaning when we remember in the millennium it's quite popular to complain and jump to conclusions quickly.

This is not me in anyway shaming depression and down-talking the importance of suicide prevention.

I understand that the underlining reasoning behind these paragraphs of posts about how failing one simple test causing their weekly depression- filled break down, has real emotions that are usually only exaggerated for dramatic effect. Except when these posts are then ignored and replaced with meaningless likes. I personally don't have a finsta but I do follow many accounts that my friends have added me to, but as I scroll past these sometimes daily break downs that are then followed with zero reactions and or comments I begin to wonder.

Of course I do reach out and personally text those who repetitively post these cries for helps just to check in and understand their position, but I do wonder if their other peers share the same care for their well being that I do or if they simply turn a cheek to this content.

The issue at foot is not about my loathing for Finstas, rather the importance of compassion and the lack of it in the modern day era. Though I can not speak for the majority I do notice myself become ruder and more judgmental as the years pass, that of course could be an effect of growing up. I do realize that technology may have an affect on society's happiness, because after having entertainment accessible at your finger tips,nothing can compare , after having the ability to contact anyone instantly, why meet in person? Technology causes our lives to become meaningless and boring without the world our screens bring us to.

There also is the possibility that maybe mental illness has become more acceptable to talk about and more treated which causes the conversation over depression to be more public rather than previously hidden. Ultimately all of these are just my ideas on the reasoning behind the lack of compassion in society.