Why I Started Love Your Melon Campus Crew

An Organization Close to My Heart

35
Why I Started  Love Your Melon Campus Crew
Odyssey

I stumbled upon the Love Your Melon program while mindlessly scrolling through my Facebook feed. Random videos and photos plastered across my laptop screen, I stopped at the words, “Join the fight against pediatric cancer.”

Immediately I set to work, researching the Love Your Melon brand and campus crew program. For those of you who do not know, Love Your Melon is an organization dedicated to putting one beanie on the head of every child battling some form of pediatric cancer. The company is partnered with several affiliated research organizations, and will typically donate some of their funds toward innovative programs that can stop the horrible monster that is referred to as cancer.

Reading this information brought me to tears. I had to be a part of a company that was doing so much to help even the tiniest of our youth.

A couple of weeks after I had applied to be a campus crew captain, I received word that my small-town university, The College of Wooster, had been accepted into the program. Texting almost every friend I knew, I spread the word that my once-hazy mission was now a reality.

To form my campus crew, I spoke to my sorority sisters, asking for their participation and involvement. They happily accepted, and we set to work dividing various tasks. We created social media platforms, paper advertisements, and emails to campus faculty asking for their support.

As I walk around campus today, I see building walls plastered with posters bearing the Love Your Melon logo. I see students sporting colorful beanies with the brown Love Your Melon label stitched on the front.

But most of all, I see a campus community just as dedicated as I am to fight against pediatric cancer, and all the horrible forms it may take within the younger population.

I am so excited to lead a group of such strong, passionate women in my campus crew toward a common cause. I am so excited to continue promoting the Love Your Melon brand across the College of Wooster campus, while seeing more beanies and baseball caps on my classmates and peers. I am so excited to give my all to fight cancer, and discover a cure once and for all.

Want to join the fight? Check out Love Your Melon. I can promise your purchase will make a child’s day.