How I Fell in Love With My Best Friend

How I Fell in Love With My Best Friend

A love story for the record books.

1305
How I Fell in Love With My Best Friend
Jordan and Jenny

We fell in love. It is simple, but as extravagant as that. I can remember the moments or the many moments, even the milliseconds in which I remember falling in love with you. We were friends in high school. P.E. class, right? You remember the days we had to run a mile and I would run that mile a little bit faster so you would notice me. We would play football and soccer and I always questioned how someone as little skilled at holding a football as myself could be picked on a team (and not last). I was proud of myself. I thought to myself, "girl, you must have finally figured out the correct direction to kick the soccer ball to get a goal. Good job! You are on the blue team, not the red. Don't forget this time." But little did I remember, you were the team captain of the football and soccer games I would play with the boys. In fact, you were always the team captain. The one girl amongst many that preferred to play the physical education sports rather than sit on the bleachers at 9 AM.

This is a story of how we fell in love.

Almost six years have passed and I think, maybe he picked me on purpose? Maybe he did notice the girl who consistently wore a new shade of a pink every time she went to class. Maybe pink was her favorite color. Who knows. But maybe he did like me.

Over the course of those six years, our friendship grew stronger. You went off to college: the Pittsburgh Panthers. I was still in high school: the war zone where you tried to take more APs than your classmate.

But we would continue to hang out every holiday break you came home.

We baked challah (a customary Jewish bread served on high holidays and Shabbat). We went to the zoo together.

And during the school year, we would text a little here and there.

Then, the concept of a text or a Facebook message every "here and there" became everyday. Then that everyday became a laugh out loud (not "LOL" because we weren't accustomed to text lingo) discussion of make believe and fun on who was going to adopt the most sheep. Seriously, we wanted to create a convincing argument to encourage gardeners and families to adopt sheep to cut their grass. Think of all the lawn mowers that wouldn't have to be built if we all just owned sheep. Imagine big, fluffy, white sheep.

Then...

...those conversations became multiple day or week conversations on who was going to steal the neighborhood leprechaun and rip him/her of his gold. Don't ask me how this conversation got started. I honestly don't remember how this conversation got started.

As months went on we were consistently asking each other:

"When will you be home? When can I see you next." 

We went on a few dates.

Whether it was homemade iced coffee (from your momma's delicious kitchen) and sitting at Glider Point drawing pictures in the sand (of poliwhirls) or it was sitting for hours at Peets Coffee Shop and talking about the grandiosity of life, we fell in love. Madly in love.

I look back and I remember the first day I kissed you.

It was almost three years ago. You had just got home for the summer after finishing your second year of college. I had on a long multi-colored skirt, brown heals, a grey cardigan vest, my hair was down, and my breath smelt like my nerves, Greek food and the dark roast Peets Coffee we just shared. You were wearing one of your many Phillies shirts and your brown curly hair smelt like love and a warm San Diego April morning.

And then we shared a kiss.

It was one of those kisses that makes you want to kick your right foot up in the air like Anne Hathaway once taught us in the Princess Diaries.

As I drove home that afternoon around 4 PM from your house (after talking for three hours beforehand at Peets Coffee), I thought "wow, I can't believe he feels the same way for me as I have felt for years." I thought maybe he always wanted to place that kiss on my lips and declare "I want to be your boyfriend," but was too shy to do or say that.

Almost three years later and my best friend became someone more than I would text every night and day about leprechauns and other silly, spur of the moment thoughts, but rather someone who I could laugh a little with and confide in. Someone who he could trust. Someone he could feel safe with and love endlessly.

On this Valentine's Day, think of someone you love and that you can recall the most beautiful moments with. Think endless love. Laugh a little and remind yourself of how grateful you are to have this person in your life. Think of the great things they do for you, that you do for them and that you both share together. Regardless if this is your partner, sister, parent or best friend from high school, feel blessed that you have them in your life. Great people are worth fighting for. Maybe try running a mile a little faster than them and you too might fall in love.