Why Senior Year Of High School Is The Best And Worst Thing To Ever Happen

I hate you and love you.

1173
Grace Donovan

As a second semester senior, committed to college, and just about ready to leave high school I know that this year has been both the best and the worst and I can say that many seniors feel the same way. Many of my friends and I have talked endlessly how much stress and happiness this year has brought us all. Here are some reasons why it is both the best and worst year of your high school career.

College/post-high school plans

First off, I just want to say that you don't have to go to college, even right after. You can take a gap year, enlist in the military, go to trade school, etc. The list goes on and college does not equal success. However, the planning for either college or post-high school plans is tremendously complicated. First, you have to apply wherever you are planning on going or whatever you are planning on doing. This means countless essays, multiples of the same exact questions, letters of recommendation, and usually submitting a resume. This can get super tiring and frustrating, especially if you try to do all of it last minute. My advice is to start as early as possible. The college process for me was a little less painful because I did everything relatively early, so I would plan in advance for whatever your plans might be.

Homework after April Break

Let's just talk about how annoying it is when you are given hours of work even when you know that it probably won't even matter to the college you are going to, or wherever you plan on going after graduation. Honestly teachers should stop giving homework to seniors after April break because as much as they want to think we would love to do it, they have to know that none of us have the motivation for any extra work whatsoever.

Senior activities/events

This one is a lot of fun: senior class trip, prom, senior skip day, decorating your grad cap, graduation, parties, the list can literally go on and on. There are so many things going on throughout the year, and even during the summer after, that you will remember for years and years to come. Often times it can get kind of hectic, but a good kind of hectic, and it makes senior year even more memorable because of all the things you do with your high school class.

Sports/games

If you're an athlete, then this is the last season for you and if you're a spectator, this is your year to attend all the games you can before you are no longer a student. Playing in your last game/match, having your senior night, and all those early bus rides to games will be some of your fondest memories with your team that will always have a special place in your heart. If you don't do the whole sports thing though, game days will be so much more important to you than years before and you can bet that you won't complain about going to the homecoming football game or the hockey game against your rival school like in the past.

Spirit Week(s)

If you were one of those people who went all out in past years than keep doing you, but if you thought spirit week was super lame than this year is different sis. These are your last days to throw on tacky accessories and American flag leggings/shorts to get hype with your classmates and be allowed to run through the halls like animals. Even if you don't think you will miss these times, you most definitely will, especially when looking back on those cute and funny photos you took every different themed day of the week.

And finally... graduation

A bittersweet day. Saying goodbye to some of your first friends, your best friends, your school, but getting ready for a new chapter. There will be both tears and laughter, but everyone will experience this. You have so much to look forward to and still so much time to spend with people that you won't be seeing in a few months. So soak it in, you've got this.

Senior year has got to be my best year of high school. I dealt with both bad and good, but the good outweighed the bad so much more. I met some of the most amazing people, accomplished so much, gained a core group of best friends, and experienced/changed a ton. I am forever grateful for senior year and for the people in my life, I love you senior year.