Why Holly Holm Deserved To Win At UFC 193

A Fight For The Ages, Rousey Loses In Unexpected Fashion

18

Coming into UFC 193, VegasInsider’s odds had Ronda Rousey at -2000 and Holly Holm at +1250; to put it simply, betting $100 on Holly Holm would have won you $1,250.

It’s safe to say that a few lucky people hit it big on Saturday night.

Ronda Rousey, now former bantamweight champion, lost at UFC 193 after a second-round head kick from contender Holly Holm. Since then, I have heard nothing but complaints about how the fight was a fluke and Holm got lucky. That couldn’t be farther from the truth, and truly believing that discredits everything that Holly Holm worked for up until the event. Here’s some helpful information to change your mind about the outcome.

To start simply, Ronda came in way too cocky.

If you notice the amount of emotion and energy that went into UFC 190 versus UFC 193, you’ll see how big a difference the last few months of added fame and fortune have had.

In her fight against Correia, Ronda Rousey was fighting for a cause; Correia attacked her family, and Rousey felt as though she needed to win, and was willing to do whatever it took to beat Correia. After that fight, you could tell she was relieved. The media hyping her up and boosting her ego over her short wins didn’t help the cause. Multiple television appearances, a movie cameo, and lack of sportsmanship in the days leading up to the fight all went to her head.

She insulted Holm following their scuffle at weigh-ins, where Holm put her hand directly on Rousey’s face. Although that was too far on Holm’s part, Rousey reacted on Instagram in a way that was extremely uncalled for. On top of it all, she pretty much jinxed herself during an appearance on The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon.

Holly Holm, now undefeated at 10-0 in her MMA career, has won all of her fights by knockout, TKO, or by unanimous decision. With a 33-2-3 boxing record on her resume, it’s clear that Holm’s approach to a majority of her fights is a boxing style, requiring patience and precision. In her post fight interview, that is exactly what her team’s game-plan was for the night:

"I visualized that if the head kick was there to go for it," Holm said at the UFC 193 post-fight press conference. "We didn't want to go out of our way searching for it and force it. She comes straight forward and with your legs in the air with someone coming straight forward, you can be off balance, things like that so there's times to use them, times to not. If it was there I wanted to take it and it was there."

And even though Rousey did exactly what Holm’s team predicted she would do, she shared in an interview with Rolling Stone before her fight how she feels about her opponent:

"Her fighting style is, on paper, the kind that would be the worst matchup for me," she says of Holm. "She's the kind of person I have to be very, very patient with, a lot more cautious because of her ability to fight on the outside, her counter-punching and the camp she comes from."

What doesn’t make sense to me is that she knew very well what Holly Holm would do, yet decided to be the aggressor in the fight and play right into Holly’s hand. Rousey tried to outbox a former boxer who not only has held many titles, but also has a greater reach than her. She chased Holm around the octagon, which made it extremely difficult to keep her stamina up and helped Holm to find open areas to land clean punches and kicks.

Which brings me to a final point: Ronda Rousey cares way too much about what everyone says, and she let it control how she went into the fight.

In the previous section, her original game-plan prior to the fight would have most likely lead to a win for her. However, she was consumed by the trash talk of critics, like lightweight boxing champion Amanda Serrano, who let it be known that Rousey is not the best when it comes to boxing. In an interview with The Guardian, Serrano stated, “Her movement is very bad, how she walks into punches and she would get caught. The girls that she’s fighting, they’ve got limited boxing skills.”

I think this, along with other criticisms, led to a change of heart for Ronda Rousey, resulting in a more sporadic boxing style that she thought would work well against Holly Holm. On the other hand, as an extremely experienced boxer, Holm attacked this weakness, resulting in an easy knockout.

Now, when I say that Holly Holm deserved to win, I do not discredit anything that Ronda Rousey has ever done. ‘Rowdy’ Ronda Rousey will still go down as one of the greatest female fighters in UFC history, if not the greatest in terms of what kinds of doors she has opened up for the women’s division of the UFC. However, I defend the fact that Holly Holm did everything correctly, while Ronda Rousey slipped up and left the door wide open for Holly Holm to take advantage of her.

On the bright side, even though Ronda Rousey claimed she wouldn’t return until UFC 200, this could potentially result in a rematch between the two, as well as one of the highest-rated UFC matches (maybe even fights) of all-time. For now, we follow continuous updates on a historic moment in sports, and wait to see how long Ronda Rousey’s silence lasts.