Why Crossfit Shouldn't Get Such A Bad Wrap

A personal account of the positives of Crossfit.

16
facebook

Many people in the fitness world today have a very strong opinion of Crossfit. However, it seems to me that even more people who know very little about fitness have even stronger opinions on the subject. What I find puzzling is that extremely large portions of these opinions are very negative. Allow me to try and shed some light on the subject.

One common opinion is that Crossfit causes athletes to be prone to injury. To this, I ask what sport does not have the possibility of injury? In any sport, the possibility of injury is very real. The way to limit that possibility is through good technique. Some may say that Crossfit promotes incorrect technique due to the fast pace the workouts often follow. However, all of the top athletes in Crossfit demonstrate good technique even at high intensities and at a fast pace. Injuries happen under poor coaching and ignorance, which again, is present in all sports.

Another common misconception about Crossfit is that people have to be in great shape to even start participating. This could not be further from the truth. Everyone has to start somewhere. I have seen people start who have never touched a barbell and could not do a single push up. One thing I love about Crossfit is that it makes adjustments for everyone. Not one person in this world is at the exact same fitness level as another. Crossfit’s goal is to improve an individual’s fitness without worrying about anyone else. It doesn’t matter if a person finishes first, last, or anything in between as long as that someone is giving it their all. This lets people know what their true fitness level is and how they can improve on it.

Crossfit is not just a workout. It brings about a sense of community different from anything I’ve been apart of. I know that when I go to work out, everyone around me is going through the exact same struggle, and we are all pushing ourselves to our best ability. From the beginning to the end of every workout, people are constantly motivating others to keep going and give it their all, and no one leaves until the last person has finished. I have not found this type of comradery in any other gym or sport I have been a part of. People who work out together develop a sense of family that goes beyond the gym. Since starting Crossfit, I have met some of the best people in my life today and we all help each other to become our best selves, not only physically, but in life as well.

Finally, Crossfit has changed my life for the better. Growing up, I always played sports. I played baseball for twelve years, participated in Olympic weightlifting for three years, played soccer, football; you name it, I probably played it. When I got to college, for the most part those sports were gone, but my competitive drive lingered. Crossfit was able to take that spot in the best way possible. Not only am I able to compete with my friends, but also I can truly compete against myself every workout and see just how far I can push myself that day. Crossfit is the most rewarding and benefiting program I have ever been a part of. If you are someone who doesn’t believe in it, or has a negative opinion of it, I urge you to just try one workout and see for yourself.