Why Binge Drinking Messes with Your Sleep

If you binge drink regularly, then it might be time to take a step back

14

If you like to unwind on the weekend with a beer (or 5!), you're certainly not alone. Many people enjoy having a few drinks to relax any day of the week. We all know that alcohol has negative health effects, especially when consumed in large amounts. But did you know it could also be messing with your sleep, too?

The definition of binge drinking can vary from person to person, but it's typically based on the number of drinks you consume within a couple of hours. If you drink more than a few beers, shots, or glasses of wine in an hour or two, you might be affecting your sleep with binge drinking. Here's what you need to know.

Is Another Beer Worth a Restless Night of Sleep?

Drinking might make you sleepy, but it really isn't helping you to get a good night's sleep. In studies using mice, researchers found that binge drinking caused restlessness during sleep, and periods of wakefulness that increased four hours post-binge.

Overall, binge drinking was found to cause more sleep disturbances and to affect the gene regulating sleep. It can also cause an ongoing cycle of poor sleep, with more alcohol required to fall asleep. Is another beer really worth it?

Even If You Fall Asleep, You May Not Sleep Deeply

Some people say that they're able to fall asleep more easily when they binge drink. Alcohol is a depressant, so it can help some people to fall asleep quickly. But once you fall asleep, things begin to change.

REM (rapid eye movement) sleep, which is the deepest stage of sleep, is affected by alcohol consumption. The more you drink, the worse you sleep! You'll experience less REM sleep and have more sleep disruptions, particularly in the second half of your sleep cycle.

Poor-quality sleep is almost as bad as not enough sleep. Before you grab your next drink, think about how you want to feel the next morning! Even if you're not hungover, you may not be feeling your best due to poor-quality sleep

Binge Drinking & Impact on Brain Function

Sleep is very important for your ability to function at optimal levels. If your sleep is disrupted for any reason, including binge drinking, then you can expect to notice an impact on your cognitive function.

Modern attention spans are not very long. By binge drinking and sacrificing your sleep quality, you're not setting yourself up for the focus you need to succeed at work or in your personal life and relationships. Instead of binge drinking and compromising your ability to focus, work on your attention span with meditation, mindfulness, reading, and other focused activities.

The Importance of Staying Educated on Binge Drinking and other Health Issues

It can be hard to prioritize your health long-term when all you want to do is relax and enjoy yourself. But for your health and well-being, it's important to limit your alcohol intake and stay educated on the effects of binge drinking. By continually improving your health literacy and working toward a healthier life, you'll be able to enjoy life more fully as you get older.

Remember, binge drinking is fun in the short term, but it's important to prioritize your future health right now. Educating yourself is the best reminder to stop binge drinking for good.

Binge Drinking Messes With More Than Just Your Sleep

Poor sleep should be enough to convince you to stop binge drinking. But if you think a few poor nights of sleep are the only consequences of binge drinking, think again. Excessive drinking messes with more than just your sleep and has long-term health consequences.

Although people of all ages binge drink, the issue typically begins in college and can make students six times more likely to perform poorly on academic tests and projects and five times more likely to miss class than those who don't binge drink (but still consume alcohol). Beyond academic performance, binge-drinking can contribute to assault, accidents, and other serious incidents.

Over time, binge drinking can lead to alcoholism, liver issues, and other major health problems. If you binge drink regularly, then it might be time to take a step back. Reconsider how harmless this activity is and think about changing your habits—for your health and well-being now and in the future.