I Chose Dance For My Major And That Decision Was En-Pointe

Being a dance major has taught me countless life lessons.

256
Sarah Schwartz

When you tell someone you’re a dance major, you most likely hear “Oh, that’s cool,” “I danced when I was younger,” or “Do you go to regular classes?” And while it can be bothersome to hear these things, what I want to tell people more than anything is how rewarding and inspiring being a dance major is.

Being a dance major is more than just showing up to take a class every day, and having performances every once in a while.

Being a dance major is about creating a family, and finding a support system that you know will have your back eternally. I’ve only been in college for a year, and I am certain that this was the best possible decision for me.

Not a day goes by where I take anything for granted because I know that injuries and illnesses can pop up out of nowhere, some of them being career ending. I know that I won’t be able to dance forever, and I, therefore, take each class as though I will never dance again.

Many people go a whole day without taking a moment to stop and appreciate all that they have and are able to do.

Dance has enabled me to take a step back at some point each day and take it all in. I take in the beauty of dance and how lucky I am to be a healthy individual capable of dancing each day.

Being a dance major has also taught me the importance of true friendships. Many people in college say that they struggle with making lifelong friends their first semester and end up meeting people they would only call acquaintances.

However, being a dancer in college has brought me my closest friends, and without them, I truly wouldn’t be the person I am today. Dance brings out the best in people as they get to do what they love, but can also be physically and emotionally draining.

It’s beautiful to see people supporting other people in times of such need, and receiving this support when I don’t think I’ll make it through another day. Being a dance major gives me something to look forward to each day, whether it’s a surprise class with a famous dancer, learning a new combination, or getting to perform.

Being a dance major has made me open my eyes and see how many people are willing to push their bodies to the limit for something they love, and being surrounded by that type of passion only makes me a better and more determined person.

Being able to watch upperclassmen dance so wonderfully is awe-inspiring, and constantly gives me something to push for. And the tribulations I face on the daily have made me understand failure and sadness in a completely new way. They have allowed me to figure out how I best handle a downfall, and from that, I have changed who I am as a person, and how I handle my mistakes.

If I didn’t have the privilege of being a dance major, I don’t even want to meet the person I would have turned out to be.