The Truth About The Question 'Who Am I?'
Self Love

... and it should be to live up to your fullest potential.

93

When we were younger and were asked the question of "Who are you?" or asked ourselves "Who am I?" most likely we answered simply with our names, ethnicity, culture, and/or beliefs. It was a simple answer to a question that is much more gigantic than we can image, and one that our young minds couldn't comprehend the weight of.

By summarizing ourselves by a name and few labels we set ourselves up by having focal points of our existence that simplify and generalize us. The problem that humankind faces is that many of us, billions of people, relate so heavily to these labels and their focal points that they never understand they're true potential and live life to the fullest.

The problem with society and the education system (generally) is that when we're young and answer the question "Who am I?" so simple, we fail later in life as we grow by not understanding who we're growing into, those labels stick with us and we feel that we are getting nowhere because, subconsciously, we know we haven't changed. I know this is a lot to take in but let me provide an example: You're in kindergarten and your teacher asks you who you are, and you say who you are in simplest terms, which is the way that your young brain knows how to.

Years later, you get asked again, and you respond with the same simple terms, but you're asked to elaborate and you're really not sure how you start to think that you're a boring person (you see what I'm getting at?). Then before you know it your an adult, you're asked again and have to elaborate even more, but you have no idea how to and you feel like you've lost your self-worth. The way we change this is by finding ourselves.

Now I know I made it sound like you have found yourself right now at this very moment unless you want to end up a shell of a human being with no worth, but it's not like that at all. You can find yourself at any point in your life. You can even find yourself, lose yourself, and find yourself again. That's the great thing about finding yourself, it's an adventure, stopping existing and start living.

With all these possibilities, it's common for you to not know how to answer that question when in the process of trying to find yourself, and that is completely OK. You're not going to know right away. You're not going to wake up one day and say "Wow, I found myself" because it doesn't work like that. You may feel lost at some point and feel like it's pointless, but it's just difficult. It's like having a big puzzle and looking all over the earth to try and find the pieces. Each day, week, month, or year, you'll find a piece, and eventually, you'll put them all together and marvel at what you created in the end.