12 Tips To Guide You On Your Journey Of Self-Discovery

39393
Mark Mook via Pixabay

We all feel lost sometimes. We embark on a mission to find ourselves, but the mission is flawed from the beginning. See, we are already found. Hence, it isn't about finding yourself but knowing yourself. There are many paths to getting to know yourself, but here are a few tips to help guide you.

1. Practice mindfulness

Meditation is a way to know your true self. All you need to know is within yourself, seeking it externally in the world will only take you so far. You need to look within. -Yut

Life is busy and messy, and we often forget to take time to relax. I'm not talking about the kind of relaxing that happens when we engage in leisure activity. We don't take time just to be. In the busy modern world, we lose touch with ourselves. A good way to regain connection with yourself is to meditate. Check out this great guide on how to start meditating. You can practice mindfulness in everyday life by paying attention to yourself and your surroundings without judgment. Do not focus on the past or future but the present moment.

2. Ask yourself, "Who am I?"

It may sound simple, but it can be effective. Who are you? What brings you joy? What are you most afraid of? What feelings are leading you right now?

3. Journal

Journaling is a great way to reflect. Here are 30 great writing prompts for self-discovery.

4. Find your core values

Your core values drive you. They help define who you are and who you aim to be. Use this tool to help you find your core values. Creativity, equality, understanding, intellectual status, and family-orientedness are among the common personal values listed.

5. Find your purpose and passion

What do you enjoy doing so much that you lose track of time? This is your flow state, and it is likely what you are passionate about. Pay attention to the things you don't like because those emotions are also useful in finding your passion. If your heart isn't in something, let it go. Check out 6 clues to finding your passion and purpose in life.

6. Look to your childhood

Even reading a favorite book from your childhood can help you discover parts of yourself that maybe have been forgotten. As children, we are naturally in tune with what we like. What did you enjoy in childhood?

7. Listen to what others say about you

People who are close to us can often tell us who we are better than we can tell ourselves. On your journey of self-discovery, ask your friends what they think about you.

8. Take personality tests

This is a fun way to get to know yourself a bit better. Try out these quizzes.

The Myers-Briggs Temperament Indicator (MBTI)
The Big 5 Personality Test
VisualDNA's Who Am I? Quiz

9. See challenges, not struggles

When we struggle, we often lose touch with ourselves. We feel lost. One way to counteract this is to see struggles as challenges. Take this quiz to discover the core beliefs that you hold about yourself. Frustration and depression may be indicated by these core beliefs.

Look at the story you tell yourself, and change it if it causes you harm. You can consciously change the story of who you think you are to fit who you want to be. This task is not easy or fast, but it is a challenge worth pursuing.

10. Practice self-care

Take some time for yourself. Do things you enjoy - whether that is a hot shower or a long run. Self-care looks different for everyone.

11. Listen to what you say "yes" and "no" to

What do you enjoy? What are you interested in? When you feel lost, these things may be unclear. Look back to the last thing that brought you joy. Remember how your body felt. That is a "yes." The things that you don't enjoy produce a different response in your body. You will become more in tune with these things when you as you become more mindful.

12. Surround yourself with people who allow you to grow

The journey of self-discovery is not a solo one, although it may feel like that at times. If you are surrounded with people who do not have your best interests at heart, then you are will not be able to grow into the best possible version of yourself. Eliminate those people from your life, and surround yourself with people who allow you to grow.