Where We Stand
Politics

Where We Stand

"Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough." -Franklin D. Roosevelt

7
Where We Stand
Taylor Horton

As we all know, Donald Trump has won the 2016 Presidential Election. Now don't worry, I'm not about to throw my views in your face and tell you how terrified I am for this country or that I believe that Hillary should change her name to Killary because she believes in killing babies up until birth. I'm not here to tell you my views because, quite frankly, you probably don't care and you are probably sick of seeing all of it just as I am. But let me tell America one thing. Regardless of whether Hillary had won instead, kindness would still be lacking in this country. I see it everyday in everything we do, but this election has really shown me a lot. Once again, I will not express my political party affiliation or favorable candidate, but I am beyond sick of seeing all the hate. Social media has been filled with messages such as "your opinion sucks!" and "Hillary for prison 2k16!" and "Trump is racist, sexist, and misogynist, nice job America".

Hold up.

The amount of Twitter fights I have seen not only in the past few months, but the past 12 hours has been outrageous. Let me tell you of a bigger problem America has right now than either Trump or Hillary: the lack of respect, civility, and character of the American people. Why do we feel the need to make racist comments such as " Better leave now before Trump kicks me out anyway," and comments against Hillary like "She deserves to be in prison, not our president." Does anyone realize that arguing, especially now, is not going to change a thing? It is done, it is over. Can we accept it and move on? We ride a very slippery slope by putting our political views out there and thinking that no one will argue with us. It's a free country, write what you want, but expect backlash, because guess what? You aren't the only person with an opinion. People will always disagree, that's inevitable. But it's the way we go about our disagreements that decides the future of our country, not our preference of a certain candidate over the other. Trump supporters are not necessarily racist or sexist. Hillary supporters are not necessarily "only voting for her because she is a woman".

Be kind in your opinions and remember that there are always going to be people that disagree with you. But maybe instead of completely turning away their ideas and views, listen to them, be respectful, and understand that America has more problems than the one you're arguing over. That problem has to do with how we treat others.

Peace and blessings, America ✌