When You Love A Horse That Isn't Yours

When You Love A Horse That Isn't Yours

Welcome to the wonderful world of leasing.

84
When You Love A Horse That Isn't Yours
Cove Creek Photography

Horses: one of nature's most magnificent creatures. I fell in love with these animals when I was about 8 years old. It started off as a slight obsession; wanting anything and everything that had a horse on it. I soon convinced my mother to let me have weekly riding lessons. Eventually when I was old enough, my trainer let me lease one of her horses. However, leasing a horse may involve more drama than actually owning one.

First off, let me explain the basics of leasing a horse. Leasing is another way of saying 'rent to own'. When you decide to lease a horse, you agree to follow a number of rules. You will be out at the barn almost every day to ride the horse. In addition to riding, you are expected to care for the horse such as keeping the horse clean and mucking out its stall. Along with caring for the horse, you may have to pay to have its shoes done. Other expenses include tack and show fees. But all of these tasks are no big deal since you love 'your' horse.

Now let me tell you my story. I started leasing a 17.2 hand Clydesdale-Thoroughbred gelding named Marshall, shortly after we had put down my previous lease horse, Travis. Not only did I help get Marshall into shape, but he taught me as well. We have had many great experiences together, like the time we placed 10th in equitation on the flat at the Pennsylvania State 4-H Horse Show. We have also had some not so great experiences, like the time he stepped on my hand and broke my pinky finger (long story). While in high school, it was easy for me to lease him because I live 3 minutes away from the barn. However, when I started college, that all changed. I wasn't able to be out to ride him every day. I would be sitting in class wondering how he was. I would think to myself that someone else is leasing him. Someone else is now loving him.

I know he is used in many lessons. I know other people want to show him. I know others also love him just as much as I do, but he is my best friend. He is my baby, my #mcm, my Marshmallow Man. Now that I am in college, I always look forward to the summer. Not for vacation, but I have the opportunity to be out at the barn almost every day, like I did in high school. I like leasing a horse because it is easier for a college student like myself to afford it. However, I am looking forward to the day when I become a horse owner.