When Did Money And Fame Become More Important Than The Love Of The Game?

381
Youtube

I strongly believe that the National Basketball Association (NBA) is overrated; why you may ask? I have this belief because when I think about the game of basketball, passion comes to mind. With any sport, one believes that somewhere there is passion in the hearts of players. I am well aware that there are players who play professional basketball that still have passion for the game. I do not believe so much that players in particular are overrated but more so the association. The perception portrayed by the association as a whole is that the once evident passion and true love for the game has dwindled over the years.The association has become more about money and fame; getting the best of the best so they can get more money for their association because it is more about the business aspect rather than the true passion that the players once had for the game. Players now I believe chase the money and fame because that is what the association offers. Money maybe great but it does not last. Fame is great but it can cost the players their future and their privacy.

Consider all the college players leaving after playing a year or two from college ball. Half of the players do not even finish college. What if they get hurt and cannot play ever again, then what is their plan? Go back to college? Are they going to apply for scholarships again? Do you not think that it would make more sense to complete four years of college then move on to professional basketball? This can be true for any student-athlete considering a professional sports career. Finishing the four years of college education gives the player a back up plan. Let us consider the hypothetical situation of a college student-athlete who has a scholarship becoming injured and cannot play for a season. The student-athlete still can retain a scholarship for academics. Even if a collegiate student-athlete becomes injured and cannot play at all for the rest of their college years, there are still options via the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) and each college specifically. If a player gets injured early in their professional career and cannot play again, they are not so lucky. The NBA may release the player due to the fact that an injured player is not going to make them money. The player may be handed money depending on clauses contained in his contract. Although this is not always the case, some players do not get money at all. If the players are given money, the money will eventually run out; maybe because the player returned to college because they did not have a back up plan or it was just spent. So sticking around just for a little longer in college has multiple benefits. Just imagine the athletic improvement a player can make playing basketball for four years and then going on to professional basketball. If the player is already impressing people now; imagine what could be done after four years of collegiate coaching and playing experience. There is always room for improvement. I believe that players who commit to four years of collegiate basketball should honor the four year commitment made to the team and the school for the reasons stated above.

Overall, basketball is not about money and fame, at least it should not be. Basketball is about the culture, the love for the game, doing what one loves, and the improvement of a player on the court not only as an individual but also with teammates. It is a time of the player's life that cannot be gotten back. The NBA gives these colleges players a no brainier idea meaning that they tell these players exactly what they want to hear. MONEY MONEY MONEY. Contract for this contract for that. They tell these players you either sign now or you do not sign at all. Why should a player's ability only allow them to be given an opportunity right now?

When I watch NBA games I see ridiculous calls by the referees. There is constant travels and fouls. These calls degrade the quality and value of the game. I have seen the change in players that convert from college ball to professional ball. They lose their love for the game. These players do not only lose their love for the game, they also lose their pride. It is no longer about winning as a team but about making money and obtaining publicity. A player's personal life becomes not so personal anymore. When I sit down and watch college games, it is a whole different story. There is still values and structure in place. I see passion, a family on the court not only with players but with coaches and mentors. For example, Duke basketball players and Coach K, not one player leaves the court feeling alone or not being apart of something bigger than himself whether they play for Coach K a year or four years. Coach K is probably one of the best mentors and coaches out there. College ball and not only basketball but any college sport, you walk on to the courts and fields knowing you will become a family on and off. That is how it should be.