What I Wish I Knew Back In High School

What I Wish I Knew Back In High School

Things I want to tell my high school friends.

49
What I Wish I Knew Back In High School
Colleen Rein Hart

You know those people who tell you it's the best four years of your life? Those people obviously went to a magical high school in fairy land. Although I enjoyed my four years in high school, in just seven months after graduation, I can tell you it is nowhere near the best days of your life. Of course, you are going to carry your high school memories for the rest of your life, but high school is no one's peak.

As I wrap up the first semester of college, there are so many things I wish I could go back and tell my high school self. Since time travel has not yet been invented, I don't get that opportunity. However, still having friends and a brother in high school means I can do my best to get through to them.

The most important lesson I learned is that boy (or girl) does NOT matter.

Now that I am adult aged and I have fallen deeply in love with a man, whom I have a very nontoxic and supportive relationship with, I now know that the boy I was stressing over and praying for every single day and night should have never even gotten a second glance from me. Thank God for unanswered prayers. Am I right?

Do not stress over failing that one test.

Obviously, it is very important that you work hard and put forth all of your efforts into your school work throughout high school, but please do not let one bad grade keep you awake at night. I would get so sick to my stomach and literally lose sleep over a failed test. Now, I cannot even remember the tests I did bad on.

Do not conform.

Go all out for spirit week, run for class offices even volunteer to be the mascot at a basketball game. One day, you're going to want to tell your children all kinds of crazy stories of things you did while in high school while they flip through your yearbooks.

Follow the rules.

Once it is time to get recommendation letters for school or work, you are going to be in a big mess if you've spent four years breaking every rule you were given.

While there are many other "life lessons" I could share, these few condense most of everything I wish to say. Do not go through high school and then look back with regrets. Be yourself and people will love you. "High school isn't about finding your groom, it's about finding your bridesmaids." While this only applies to my female friends, boys get the idea, too. High school is about growing, becoming who you are going to be for the rest of your life. Focus on yourself and your friendships, and you won't have a single regret.