What We Can Learn From Allen Iverson

What We Can Learn From Allen Iverson

Achieving goals takes a little 'practice.'

127
What We Can Learn From Allen Iverson
YouTube

For many sports fans, one of the most iconic post-game interviews is legendary basketball player Allen Iverson's infamous rant about practice.

To many, the video clips of Iverson in a dumbfounded state of disbelief repeating the word "practice" as if it were some kind of foreign language are unforgettable and synonymous with all that Iverson was during his tenure in the NBA. Watching these clips makes any stranger to Iverson believe that he is arrogant, ignorant, and lazy. If you are unfamiliar, they can be seen here:

What many do not know is the struggle that Iverson had been going through at the time, as months prior to this interview his best friend was shot and killed.

Iverson was and still is hurt by the way this interview shaped the public's opinion of him, at a time when it was very difficult for him to keep it together in front of news cameras and sports journalists. However scarring this interview was, Allen did not let this define him, and certainly he did not try to change himself for the benefit of the media. He remained who he was, because he owed it to himself and to those who knew him best.

I'd imagine it's very easy to become wrapped up in the celebrity status and lifestyle that is professional sports. It's easy to say that stardom will not change you, until that check is presented and the money just keeps coming. Sometimes it's easy for people to forget who they are and who is really looking out for them when they are put on the spot and expected to stay consistent in success. Allen was a multi-year All Star, points leader, and now a Hall of Fame member, but he made the time to be a father to his children and a husband to his wife. Tending to your loved ones does not take away from your future plans or the work you currently do. For some, things like family, religion, and generosity become less important while in the realm of success, because they aren't as exclusive as the other things in your life. It's dangerous to think like this, because like professional sports, success is temporary if you do not take care of your well-being.

It's important to always remember your beginnings, and where you came from. No matter how positive or negative those memories are, your start is your foundation. The negatives do not break you, and the positives lend a helping hand in what makes you. Iverson walked among legendary players like Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, and LeBron James, but he never felt shame in wearing Rocawear sweats and a fitted hat on his way to the arena. While you aim for your goals and begin to build your future, be as comfortable as you can be, because it presents a better version of you to others. That comfort doesn't necessarily have to present itself in sweatsuits and Red Sox hats, but either way your image should represent who you are in the best possible way.

As college students, we should be aware of our surroundings. There's going to be obstacles that try to obstruct our view of the future, and it comes down to whether or not we can overlook these obstacles. When we achieve our goals, we have to recognize our own hard work, but also give thanks to those that got us there. Allen Iverson is a prime example of individual strength, and we can learn from him how to be honest with ourselves and how to be real with others, in a world that can sometimes seem so plastic and unclear. It won't always be easy to stay so grounded, of course there will be times that we lose sight of what we want and what we have to do to get there. It's an every day effort, to better ourselves and better the world we live in.

"We talkin' about practice, man."