7 Things NOT To Say To Someone Trying To Lose Weight

Because yes, Sharon, the thought of exercise has crossed my mind.

96
Unsplash

Come Monday, the Wayne State rec center will be filled to the brim with new faces, aka, the faces of all those who made losing weight/getting fit one of their new years resolutions - and good for them! Honestly, it's one of mine. But behind every sweaty person trying to lose weight is someone else either trying to motivate them or, for some unknown reason, being snide and cruel.

Well intentioned or not, sometimes the wrong things are said. So for those of you who have a friend trying to lose weight, here are 7 things to never say;

1. You're only 5/10/20 pounds away from...

No. Just no. A) Don't put a number on it. The number on the scale is so misleading and so easy to obsess over. B) Your friend knows they're X pounds away.

2. Just exercise

You're only the 15th person to suggest that, and it's totally news to me because you know, I live under a rock and know nothing.

3. Just eat healthier

Cause, again, I haven't thought of/heard that.

4. Try this extreme diet!

No. My metabolism is already pissed at me I don't want to make it more angry. Also, who thinks kale cupcakes are a good idea?

5. Just a few more pounds and you can fit into...

Again, I hadn't thought of that, nor did I realize how I look in a mirror.

6. Be patient

Entirely true. Losing weight is a long process and there is no easy fix. But when I'm upset and frustrated, the last thing I want to hear is "just keep working on it." (Bonus points if it's followed by "Make sure you're getting exercise."

7. "I just wish you loved yourself..."

Let's get one thing straight, I am trying to lose weight because I want to, not because I hate myself. Is loving myself - fat and all - hard sometimes? Yes. But like Demi says, so long as you try that's what matters.

The most important thing to remember, is that whether you're trying to lose weight or your friend is, the number on the scale or the tape measure is not what truly matters.

Just remember, friend, you slay (too late to use sleigh?) and in 2017, you will keep slaying, we've got this.