Yes, Ultimate Frisbee Is A Real Sport

Yes, Ultimate Frisbee Is A Real Sport

What it's like to play a sport that nobody understands.

658
Yes, Ultimate Frisbee Is A Real Sport
ErinRose Carr

When people ask me if I play a sport at college, I respond by telling them that I am one of the captains of the Women’s Ultimate Frisbee Team. Usually, people are a little taken back or confused because it’s not the typical response you receive. Most people nod their head, politely smile and then ask or say:

“Frisbee is a real sport?”

“Oh.. I played that in gym once… It’s pretty easy.”

“Aww frisbee is such a cute sport.”

“Do you actually play? Or do you just sit around and get high?"

The sport of Ultimate is an atypical sport because of its culture — it is starting to break into the mainstream, but struggles to gain the respect it deserves because it is misunderstood and stereotyped by other athletes and the media. Whether you believe me or not, Ultimate is a sport. The World Flying Disc Federation (WFDF) was recognized by the International Olympic Committee this past August and now has the opportunity to compete with other recognized sports for spots in future Olympics.

Because of its current reputation in the United States, it is not extremely popular to have exposure to the game prior to college however, it is growing in popularity in Massachusetts, New York and the North-Western United States. I did not play in high school and as many other collegiate ultimate players simply “fell into” the sport.

I, like many others, was recruited to pursue a sport at the collegiate level. For me, it was recruited both track and field in addition to volleyball, however, I unable to follow through with any good offers due to a back injury I received my senior year. So when I arrived at college and was physically in a better place, I knew that I wanted to join a club sport. I knew I didn't just want to play intramurals or random pickup games, but I wanted to find a team, find my place and find a family.

I, by no means, had any intention of becoming a NARP (Non Athletic Real Person) when I graduated from high school. I still, in some ways, am considered a NARP because I’m not a Division 1 athlete, but that’s another story. I was always an athlete, not necessarily the best athlete, but I always identified as being an athlete. So when I arrived at college and began to try out for the club volleyball team and was competing with other girls who were supposed to play volleyball division 1 but couldn’t because of torn ACLS or other injuries. I was a good player, but I was a division 3 recruit and was, by no means, prepared to keep up with girls who had a level of background training and athleticism that I had not been anywhere close to accustomed to. I knew I needed to look elsewhere.

I browsed through tables and booths at the fall club fair and thought about other options. Rugby came to mind as did the triathlon team, the Ultimate Frisbee team and the equestrian team. I couldn’t play rugby because of my back. I hate(d) running and hate biking even more, so I didn’t want to do the triathlon team. I couldn’t compete with the girls trying out for the volleyball team. So that left Frisbee. I played Kan Jam pretty frequently the summer before coming to Cuse. I had horrible aim and could hit the Kan ok but was horrible when it came to slotting the disc. But I was swayed and I arrived at my first day of practice and immediately fell in love.

UIltimate players are athletic, talented and mentally refined. We have an underlying "quirk" that makes us all different than other athletes, I believe, is caused by spirit of the game, which replaces the job of referees and officials. Frisbee is self-refereed and requires players to make their own calls and their own decisions about violations that occur. This is based on honesty and good sportsmanship. We shake hands with the other team after games, share “beverages”, offer spirit awards and hang out… A rare scene in other sports. Ultimate is coupled with state of mind and a mentality different than other sports. The girls can play with the boys on a more leveled playing field. The stereotypes paired with Ultimate undermine the sport’s character, competitiveness and the overall skill and talent that it requires to be a good ultimate athlete.

It is a real sport, contrary to what you may feel compelled to believe. Try to tell us differently, though... We'll break your nose with a Frisbee. I've seen it done before and it hurts... Just don't do it.

Have some spirit.... And learn to play the game.