Week Two in Tampa

Week Two in Tampa

Yankees try to continue a successful spring training as they enter week two.

8
Week Two in Tampa
Keith Allison

It has been an exciting start to spring training for The New York Yankees. They have competed in three games, the first two against Philadelphia Phillies and the most recent game against Toronto Blue Jays. Coming out this week with a 2-1 record, they have seen great offensive production from many players.

Game 1: NY Yankees 9 v. Phillies 4

1st inning

• Matt Holliday singled to left center. Didi Gregorius hit a homer to right. Starting the spring with a launch to right.

5th inning

• Aaron Judge, who struck out in the 3rd, hit a long homerun to left center. First pitch bomber that soared over the outfield fence.

6th inning

• Miguel Andújar tripled to deep right sending Tejada home. Later on in that inning, Andújar scored because of a throwing error by 2B Kingery.

8th inning

• Clint Frazier tripled to deep right, scoring Tejada and Andújar. Rob Refsnyder swings at the first pitch and singles to left scoring Frazier.

Game 2: NY Yankees 5 v. Phillies 6

3rd inning

• Gleyber Torres scored on wild pitch by C. Ramos’. The Yankees acquired Torres from The Chicago Cubs in the Aroldis Chapman deal.

5th inning

• Gleyber Torres and Miguel Andújar scored on a wild pitch.

9th inning

• Donovan Solano singled to right, Wade scored.

Game 3: Blue Jays 2 v. Yankees 7

2nd inning

• Starlin Castro homered to left, scoring Holliday and Carter.

3rd inning

• Matt Holliday grounded out to third, scoring Jacoby Ellsbury.

5th inning

• Brett Gardner singled to center, scoring Aaron Hicks.

7th inning

• Billy McKinney homered to right, scoring Tejada.

The first week has come to an end and The Yankees are looking good for a team full of young talent. Yankees GM Brian Cashman spoke with ESPN and highlighted the challenges that come with the rising talent on the team, and thinks “its time for us to give it a shot”. With the revolutionizing new look for The Yankees, is it there years? Looking at what The Chicago Cubs did last year with their young squad, it may be The Yankees vision to exceed expectations in the oncoming season.

Yankees upcoming schedule:

Mon, Feb 27

• Yankees (2-1) v. Orioles (2-1)

Tuesday, Feb 28

• Yankees (2-1) v. Orioles (2-1)
  • Tigers (1-2) v. Yankees (2-1)

Wednesday, Mar 1

• Braves (1-1) v. Yankees (2-1)

Thursday, Mar 2

• Orioles (2-1) v. Yankees (2-1)

Friday, Mar 3

• Yankees (2-1) v. Blue Jays (0-3)

Saturday, Mar 4

• Yankees (2-1) v. Tigers (1-2)

Sunday, Mar 5

• Pirates (2-1) v. Yankees (2-1)

The Yankees have some challenges they still face. Including 3B Chase Headley who has been a productive defensive third basemen, but declining offensive at bat. At 32 years old, he struggled throughout the 2016 season. With only three road games home runs, he hopes to get ahead for the upcoming season. CC Sabathia another player who struggled in 2016, wants to see more playing time. This past season, he posted a 3. 91 era with a 9-12 record. However, that was an improvement from the season before. It is certain that The Yankees have their work cut out for them if they want to lock a spot in October. The young talent will have spectators focused on what the new young Yankees will bring to the table in 2017.