8 Ways Yoga Can Improve Your Life

8 Ways Yoga Can Improve Your Life

Even breathing, stronger muscles, happier couples - is there anything that yoga can't do?

35
8 Ways Yoga Can Improve Your Life
Castro Valley yoga

I started doing yoga in high school in an attempt to keep myself from getting hurt playing volleyball. I was a hitter, which meant lots and lots of jumping. I had ankle and knee braces, and required some joints taped as well. After countless times rolling my ankles, I decided that I would stretch them so that they could handle being landed on.

From there, I started doing yoga stretches after running, and eventually it became a daily habit. Yoga helps me wake up in the morning, and the poses I do before bed stretch me out so that I can have a solid sleep.

Yoga is very easy to start - you just need to make sure that you find things for beginners. As you grow and get stronger, you will be able to attempt the more complicated poses (asanas). It may seem challenging, but you do not need to know a lot (or purchase a bunch of fancy things) in order to begin.

But why should you start? What benefit does yoga have for your life?

1. Flexibility

Improved flexibility is achieved by continuously edging your joints to extend farther than is normal. By practicing yoga consistently, you are able to stretch all joints for all over better flexibility. This also reduces your chance of injury.

2. Muscle strength

Yoga strengthens your muscles by doing lightweight, repetitive motions. This isn't like when you go to the gym and max out for three reps. Yoga tones and strengthens, rather than enlarging muscles.

3. Increased Heart Rate

Yoga is a good way to get your heart rate increasing. Asanas generally have you moving more than static stretching, and can be good to do before you go out on a run or play a sport. Yoga is also helpful when it comes to lowering blood pressure and preventing heart problems.

4. Improved Balance

Having stronger muscles will improve your balance. Since yoga is a full body workout, all of your muscles are strengthened. Your legs and core will be stronger to hold you up. You will also be more aware of your surroundings, and be able to avoid tripping or falling since yoga connects your mind with your body.

5. Focus

Yoga focuses on breathing and asanas. Even though these are both very simple things, they can require a lot of mental focus. By sharpening your focus in your breathing, you will discover it is easier to focus on other things (such as school or work) through your breathing.

6. Relaxation

Along with focus, breathing helps with relaxation. Clearing your head and focusing only on breathing will help you wind down after a particularly stressful day. Also, some asanas are for meditation, which is great for relaxing.

7. Better Sleep

After you've relaxed and stretched, you will find it much easier to fall asleep quickly. I used to be the sort of person who took almost an hour to fall asleep, and slept restlessly. After getting into the habit of doing a short series of asanas before bed, I have found that I fall asleep within minutes of laying down, and am able to sleep the entire night through. I also wake up naturally before my alarm goes off feeling very well rested.

8. Better Relationships

You can do partner yoga that utilizes many of the same base components of regular yoga. By working on asanas with your partner, you not only get a better feel of the way that their body works, but your minds should connect as well.

Before you rush out and buy a mat, try out some asanas to see if yoga fits you. You can start by using a towel in place of a mat, or even going outside and posing in the grass. There are many asanas that you can do without straps or blocks, so start with those. You need to get a feel for what best suits you. Have fun and good luck my yogis!