Vegetarian Dishes & Alternatives That Hit A Foodie’s Spot

I became a vegetarian about a year ago for environmental, health, and moral reasons. As a meat lover for so long, finding dishes and alternatives to my favorite meals was stress inducing, but eventually successful! I shop mainly at Trader Joes due to the healthy selection and perfect portion sizes for a single person. Here are my favorite meals and alternative options from there that changed my home cooking game!

71
  1. Trader Joe's Soyrizo

When I first found out this was a thing, I knew I had to try it. Before I became a vegetarian, tacos with chorizo was one of my favorite foods. I finally found something to fill the meaty taco void when I found this meatless alternative made from soy. The Trader Joe's Soyrizo is a vegetarian chorizo that is so incredibly similar to the real thing. It comes in a link form and is heated up with a little bit of canola oil on the stovetop until heated through and crispy. It is so flavorful and filling, you can put it in a taco, nachos, a quesadilla, or wherever your heart desires. This link can feed 3-5 people or give you about 3 individual meals!

2. Trader Joe's Kung Pao Tempura Cauliflower

This delicious, spicy dish is perfect over rice or even on its own. It comes frozen so it lasts quite a bit before you have to use it. The cauliflower "nuggets" are prepared in the oven while the tasty kung pao is defrosted. The cauliflower nuggets are crisp and soft on the inside, perfectly complimenting the kick of flavor from the sauce. It reminds me of spicy orange chicken and is a unique dish that can have fresh veggies added or be placed on top of rice or noodles. The consistency of the cauliflower is very soft and not chunky, so it feels similar to if it were a chicken nugget, making it a wonderful meatless meal.

3. Trader Joe's Turkeyless Protein Patties

These vegan plant-based patties are full of protein and easy to make. They come in a pack of two and have great seasoning to add flavor to your meatless burger. The patty is made from a chickpea base and packed with onion, garlic, and mushroom powder. With 23 grams of protein in just one patty, these are perfect for a vegan or vegetarian looking to get their protein from somewhere. You can cook these on a stove top or on an actual grill. Either way they get crisp and juicy, just like a real meat patty would. They go great with a toasted bun and your choice of toppings!

These are by far the best meatless alternatives I have found while grocery shopping for myself. Trader Joe's also has other vegetarian dishes that have no meat and no "meat alternatives" if you aren't looking for meatless "meat" options. It isn't easy to transition to being meatless but many places offer great alternatives, recipes, and pre-made meals to make it a little less overwhelming.