Disclaimer to begin with: I think the best type of gift you can give to someone is your time. Giving your time to them shows that you care... but yes receiving a gift is always something nice to look forward to.
Some people are really, really good at gift giving. Then there are others of us (including myself) that struggle sometimes when the holidays of the gift-giving type roll around. Over the years, watching my mom seem to somehow, no matter what, have the absolute perfect gifts for everyone around her, I picked up one or two tricks that I wanted to share.
I want to cover all of the bases: boyfriend, girlfriend, mom, dad, sister, brother, bestie, even the dog.
1. For your boyfriend...
A classic and easy gift no matter how long you've been dating is a picture frame with you and your beau in it. Trust me, simple and sweet!
The way to a man's heart is — we all know this, c'mon ladies all together now — with FOOD. Cake balls, homemade brownies or cookies, then top it off with a pretty red ribbon and a cute note.
Think about what they're into and what they find interesting. (An example, my ex-boyfriend LOVED to golf. So for Valentine's Day, I got on Etsy and found personalized golf ball markers. I know NOTHING about golf but I know these have to be somehow useful!) If they like baseball, maybe a jersey from their favorite player. If he's into books, take a trip to Barnes and Noble and let him pick out three books he's wanted then spend the day with him while he reads.
Again, not everything has to be elaborate, just think of them and what they're into!!
2. Or for your girlfriend...
(I am doing this section based off what I asked my girlfriends what they would want from a boy and taking into consideration any previous gifts I have ever received from a boy.)
Boys, most of your girlfriends would be happy with a simple bouquet of beautiful flowers and a nice handwritten note. A delivery to her work or school so she can proudly show off how caring and loving her boyfriend, it would be a nice bonus too!
There is something called Shutterfly. You can create books with pictures of you and your girl or even a calendar of all of the pictures that you guys have ever taken together. She will SWOON.
Tell her that you are going to be cooking dinner for her, ladies love a man who can cook, I promise you. Going out to a nice fancy dinner is always a solid option but again, this comes back to my disclaimer at the beginning. You took the time to find a recipe, go grocery shopping, cook and set the table all cute for her.
Do something out of the ordinary. What does that mean you ask??? A hot air balloon, a trip to drive down the PCH, set up a projector and have a movie night in the backyard or build a blanket fort and watch her favorite movie!
3. For the moms...
Moms will always say they don't want anything. However, we all know they would love if their kids stepped it up and thought about the woman who loves them most in the world, on the day about love.
Brunch at a nice cute restaurant with just her and her kids... but be sure to be the one to pay!
Moms love to be pampered too... a gift certificate to get her nails and toenails done at a local nail salon would be such a nice treat.
Setting up a home movie screening with snacks and drinks. This will probably make her cry but it will definitely touch her heart. Be sure to get as much of your whole family together if you can for this event.
4. And for the pops...
You can't go wrong with chocolate for your dad, look into getting M&Ms personalized!
Dads are typically more practical than other family members. Does your dad need any handy tools or need to be updated on the gadgets that are in style now?
On the Brookstone website, there are super neat, completely random things that dads would appreciate. I have found a tie rack and even money clips. (I have also personalized metal money clips for my dad!)
5. For your sis...
A Starbucks gift card and a cute new mug or cup would be a super easy gift that your sis would adore.
There are small little books that are fill in that I have received as a gift before. There are some that say "I Love You Because" or "I Am Thankful for You because".... then there are many blanks for you to fill in according to whomever you're planning on giving the book to.
On Etsy, there are so many small trinkets like stickers or personalized pillows you can order for your sister.
6. Gifts for the bro...
Random thought but, I truly think this is a necessary gift item... a mini trampoline for his room. Don't ask me why, but I genuinely believe that this would be something that makes your brother smile. (I asked my best friend Joey if he would ever get his brother one and he said yes).
Red Bubble is a website that you can create any type of poster, sticker, phone cases or other super cool items on. If your brother LOVES bulldogs, then NO PROBLEM! You can make a poster with a bulldog on it.
After asking most people, they said that they would love to get their brothers shoes, shirts, etc. I decided to consolidate that into a Nike gift card.
7. For your BFFs...
If you have one really close group of friends, (sorry I always refer to Etsy, it's honestly a life saver) look on Etsy for super cute necklaces with everyone's initials. A dainty and small silver necklace would be the cutest reminder of how much you care.
Coloring books with a set of colored pencils, I know it sounds strange but honestly, that is such a simple gift that is also fun.
Have a "Galentines" Day! You all find a day (if not on actual Valentines Day) to all hang out and go to dinner or lunch. Get all dressed up, bring flowers, and have a fun little photo shoot. Nothing tangible but just again the aspect of spending time together can mean more than any item.
8. You can't forget the pooch!
I am honestly probably the only person in the world that gets their dog something but... a toy or a bone will suffice. The dog is probably the easiest one to buy for on the list.
Don't Forget Final Touches
- Jesus and Valentines Day ›
- 5 Things To Do When You're Single AF On Valentine's Day ›
- How I Spent My Valentine's Day ›
- A Letter To My Best Friend On Valentine's Day ›
- 6 Ways To Spend Valentine's Day With The People You Love Most ›
- Sorry, But This Is Exactly Why Valentine's Day SUCKS ›
- A Letter To The People That Take Valentines Day Too Seriously ›
- It's Just Another Day, A Rant About Valentine's Day ›
- 22 Fun Things For Single Girls To Do On Valentine's Day ›
- The Best Episodes of 'The Office' to Watch on Valentine's Day ›
- 9 Ways Any Broke College Kid Can Save Some Cash ›
- 5 Easy Ways To Save Money While Broke In College ›
- 45 Easy Ways To Save Money In College ›
- Valentine's Day History ›
- Valentine's Day - Warner Bros. - Movies ›
- Valentine's Day | Definition, History, & Traditions | Britannica.com ›
- Valentine's Day Ideas 2019 - Great Food & Decorations for ... ›
- LADbible - The Perfect Valentine's Day Gift | Facebook ›
- Valentine's Day: Quotes and Ideas | HISTORY.com - HISTORY ›
- Literally Just 17 Things to Do on Valentine's Day - Valentine's Day ... ›
- History of Valentine's Day - HISTORY ›
- Valentine's Day (2010) - IMDb ›
- Valentine's Day - Wikipedia ›
- How to Save Money: Daily, Monthly and Long Term - Nerdwallet ›
- Saving Money Tips - 8 Simple Ways to Save Money ›
- How to Save Money: 20 Insanely Simple Tips ›
- 23 Simple Ways to Save Money Fast (and Actually Build Wealth) ›
- Here are 20 easy ways to save some money every day ›
- 19 Easy Ways To Save Money In Your 20s ›
- Money Saving Tips - 92 Painless Ways to Save Money ›
- 87 Super Easy Ways to Save Money - Good Financial Cents ›
- 100 Great Ways to Save Money - The Simple Dollar ›