A Letter To The People That Take Valentines Day Too Seriously

Take it down a few notches.

117

To all of the people who take Valentine's Day way too seriously,

First let me start off by saying, happy Valentine's Day! It is the day you have been waiting for. You have had your list of things you want your boyfriend or girlfriend to do for you made for quite a while, and now it is time for it all to come true. Your significant other must get you a certain kind of chocolate, certain flowers, certain balloons and certain gifts or else you might just question your relationship. You share this list of things on Facebook for all of your friends to comment, "OMG same!" Well, my friend, I have a couple of things I would like to talk to you about.

Get rid of your list, and get rid of your unrealistic expectations – this holiday isn't about you or the expensive gifts your significant other will get you. What this holiday is meant to be about is spreading time with your loved one. It's to celebrate your relationship. This is the day to show the person you love just how much you love them. Notice how I never said it's about you?

This day has become less about what you can do for your S/O and more about what they can do for you. I've started to see things from my friends on Facebook about how their "boyfriend better do this" or "my girlfriend better get me this," and then there won't be any posts on February 14. Then the very next day, a change in a relationship status to single.

Was the lack of a $200 giant teddy bear truly too horrendous for you to continue your relationship? No, it wasn't, and that is the type of person that you are looking like. A person that will have a huge fallout because you weren't spoiled enough. Besides, you're most likely in college and so is your significant other, so why would you expect your broke lover to get you something so materialistic that costs them an arm and a leg? Simple answer is you shouldn't.

So please, for everyone's sanity, give it a rest this year. Be happy with your card that has a cute message on the inside, and be happy that you even get to see your lover because not everyone will get the chance to this year. And if you do get that giant, expensive teddy bear or a shiny ring, then congrats! But don't demand it out of the person. In fact, not expecting something that big or extravagant will only make you more excited when you do actually receive it. Go out, have fun and spend time with your love. That is what Valentine's Day is truly about.

Sincerely, the person who would be happy with just a card and a Kit Kat.