Dating Sites Aren't All That They're Cracked Up To Be

The easy way isn't always the best way.

26

Finding love can be very hard. Society has tried to make it easier for us all by creating a plethora of dating apps or websites that seem to be everyone's immediate go-to. Whether it is to find your next random hook up or the future love of your life, apps are always the first thing everyone turns to. I know multiple people who have been successful in finding significant others through them and will only have good things to say about them, but in reality, they aren't all that.

My one best friend met her boyfriend through Tinder. We were all so happy for her, and she has never been happier. She finally had her first boyfriend and was on cloud 9. He went to an Ivy League college right next to her college, and they always hung out with the close distance. He sounded truly amazing for her. In all honesty, he seemed too good to be true. So my friends and I did what anyone else would do. We did our research. Turns out, he does not even go to the school he claims he goes to. He never introduced her to his parents or friends. She has never been to his apartment, and now, eight months later, they are planning to live together for senior year.

This boy is incredibly sketchy and she is missing all the signs. I'm not saying meeting the guy originally in person would have changed much because maybe it wouldn't have, but first impressions from an app aren't always the best way to start out a relationship. My other friend met her boyfriend on Tinder and they are completely fine and totally in love, but there are sketchy people out there that you have to look out for. It's everywhere, not just from dating apps, but personally, it is better to meet people in person rather than using dating apps. You never know how someone truly is until you actually meet them and spend time with them in an environment different than online. Overall, do whatever makes you comfortable!