I Am Uniquely Me And I Wouldn't Change a Thing, So Let Me Introduce Myself — Hi, The Name Is Cami

An introduction to Camryn Foster herself.

160
Cami Foster

First and foremost:

This isn't about other people, it's just about me. It's important that you and everyone else reading this understands that the actions, feelings, and things that I write are solely about me, myself, and I.

I've been writing like this for a while now. By "this," I mean writing about me and how I feel. You see, it's hard for me to express myself openly to others. Just writing that sentence makes me feel as if I am already saying way too much and revealing things about me that you have no business knowing. I mean, you all are strangers to me. And usually, the only person "reading," or should I say, has access to these rants, is my computer screen. Yes, I'm referring to my computer screen as a person who holds the key to my deepest, darkest secrets. But let me assure you, my computer screen is much more understanding than my friends and family. You see, my computer screen lets me type and type and type until my fingers get tired (or until I've stopped crying) and release everything I have in my tiny body into words. This is a really important concept, so take note of that.

Some backstory:

Being yourself is hard. I'm sure everyone can attest to this statement. But a quick reminder in case you already forgot, this about me. Being myself is hard for ME.

As a black girl growing up in primarily white neighborhoods...Wow. I've never written that before. For some reason, writing and re-reading things that are true about me makes more of an impact on myself than speaking them out loud. Another important concept.

Anyways, as I was saying. As a black girl growing up in primarily white neighborhoods, I grew up. It's as simple as that, really. I'm not here to make a pity party about myself that expresses a cliche story of being singled out or feeling different from everyone who didn't look like me. That's not what this is. This is simply a small peek into my past. But don't get me wrong, the whole "black girl growing up in white neighborhoods" part still has its place, but we'll save that for another time.

This reminds me of a fact I think is necessary to share: NOT ALL BLACK PEOPLE ACT THE SAME. And in my case, not all black girls act the same. Shoutout to my friend and roommate Machel for clarifying this. FYI, I'll be dropping random facts like these from time to time.

So who am I?

I am seamlessly and perfectly a woman living in the 21st century. I am Camryn Jean Foster, an awkward young adult living a life full of mistakes, accomplishments, weird situations, and this little thing called self-love. I am continuously learning more about myself day after day and I am accepting my flaws slowly but surely. I am an Electronic Media and Film major. I am a writer, a creator, a vessel of great ideas and passion. I am an animal lover, a daydreamer, and a believer of God. I am a human being born on this Earth for a reason I'm not yet aware of. That's just a little bit of who I am. But boy, am I much more.

Me and my writing:

My writing is unique. At least, when it's kept private and I don't have to share it with the world. But I'm trying to become an open book for once and step out of my comfort zone, hence my reason for joining Odyssey. And hey, I might be able to make a living out of my words and opinions. We'll see.

My personal preference for writing is not research papers or even writing essays about things I'm passionate about. The type of writing that I love is creative writing. Writing that has no boundaries. Writing that can be transformed into something visual. Writing that creates an escape for me and my hard-headed feelings. Writing that allows me to release my truest and most genuine thoughts. When I'm writing/typing, I can go on and on. Sentence after sentence without having to stop and think. It's as of my brain is computing the exact words I want to type into the tips of my fingers with ease so that I can go on with my endless thinking. My thoughts are jumbled and cloudy in my head but if I type them they become clear, useful, and readable. It's pretty crazy.

Moral of the story?

This is just the beginning. The beginning of an era filled with rants, food obsessions, personal thoughts/opinions, and a bunch of other unrelated elements composed together in a readable format. Basically, these things make me, me. So stay tuned if you're interested.