Unique Resolutions For Every Type Of Person

New Year resolutions that you will actually want to keep.

41
Creativity103

It is only the second week of 2017, which means the year is still new and young. This also means that if you have yet to start a resolution, it is not too late. Every year people come up with their own personal resolutions to make their lives easier or to improve themselves in some aspect. The most common resolutions are connected to exercise and eating healthier. Resolutions are typically built around a person’s interest or personality, but regardless, many people fail to follow through with them all 12 months. I have come up with a list of unique resolutions for all sorts of different people. The resolutions are original and fun to help encourage people to follow through all the way to December 31st and possibly refer back to this list again come 2018.

For all who love New Year's

People who love the new year and see it as a time to truly reinvent themselves.

1. Learn a new hobby

This is a prime time to find a new way to spend your free time. When you are deciding on a new hobby you want to ask yourself a few questions. Would you like your hobby to be aligned with your current interests? Or will your new hobby be a helpful way to explore new possible interests? Whatever you decide, make sure your hobby is something you enjoy and look forward to doing. If the hobby you picked is not something you like, test out another. Experiment with different hobbies until you find the one you like. If it takes a while, look at it as an adventure!

2. Give up a toxic habit

The bad habits we have are what make us human. But habits are just that, habits. They are not meant to be stuck with us forever and they can be broken. Did you know it takes an average of twenty-one days (or possibly less) to break a habit? With enough will power, this means that you could break a bad habit in your life within the first month of 2017! At that point, you will have eleven more months to keep your habit at bay. You could also turn this resolution around, forming a healthy habit such as spending more time with a pet, meditating every day, or start budgeting your money.

For the travelers

People who love the world and all of the places that exist within it.

1. Visit new locations and places

The world is full of landmarks, tourist attractions, and some really incredible sights. So why not have a resolution to travel more and visit the places you have always wanted to go? 2017 would be a great year to start traveling more. Try visiting locations that are far away from home so you can immerse yourself in new cultures, people, experiences, and sights. At the same, visit the places that are close to home that you may not have realized were there before.

2. Learn a new language

Learning a new language can be tough and some languages are more challenging to grasp than others. So consider 2017 the year where you will learn the language you wish you could speak. There are many awesome resources out there to help you understand the language you wish to learn. If you need motivation, plan a trip to the native country of the language you have learned and are now proficient in speaking.

For the writers

People who love to write, want to write, and need to write.

1. Test out a new genre

As a writer, it is easy to stay in your own bubble when it comes to writing in a specific genre. This year, try breaking out of that bubble and pick a new genre to write in. Always writing fiction? Try horror. Always writing mysteries? Try fantasy.

2. Write, Edit, Publish

Let 2017 be the year where your writing career really takes off. Sit down, write your first book, edit it until it is just like you had imagined, and publish it. Along the way, enter some writing contests too! You never know who will recognize your name and writing potential.

For the artists

People who are art admirers and are always seen with a paintbrush between their fingers.

1. Enroll in a class

Whether you have been an artist for years or are just starting out, have you ever considered enrolling in an art class? This would be a great way for you to learn new concepts and strategies while you are creating your masterpiece. If you are a new artist, taking a class is a great opportunity for you to learn a lot of basics and improve your art skills.

2. Carry a sketchbook

While life is busy, there are moments throughout the day where hefty workloads dwindle down and you are left with some free time. Instead of taking that free time to think about more work, consider that time precious and spend it with your sketchbook and some pencils (or other materials). Carrying a sketchbook is a great way to keep your ideas and inspiration flowing. This is a fantastic way to try to be more creative.

For the bookworms

People who love the scent of new books and their favorite noise is the *whisper* of turning pages.

1. Create a book challenge

There are countless numbers of books that exist in libraries, bookstores, and even online. With many books becoming published each month, it can be hard to keep track of them all. Coming up with a book challenge of your own, and completing it, can help expand to reading new genres, authors, and topics that you may never have dared to read before. If you are having trouble coming up with your own book challenge list, there are many already made for you online. A great place to search for these is Pinterest. As you can see, reading challenges are meant to last different durations of time. Find the reading challenge that will best fit your lifestyle and go for it! Take a look at a few examples below.

2. Attend book signings

Just like how you want to meet your favorite celebrity, meeting your favorite author is also quite the experience. A way to meet your favorite writer(s) is to attend their book signings. So, pick a few of your favorite authors and find out when they will be coming to a city near you. Go to as many signings as you can, each will have an experience different than the next. If you are a writer, this would be a great way to hear their tips for writing and what inspires their stories.

For the music connoisseurs

People who are always listening to music.

1. Attend concerts

Each musical artist has their own style in which they not only sing, but how they perform and put on a show for their fans. Make your 2017 resolution to attend as many concerts as you can. To add onto the experience take pictures and print them out, creating a journal that highlights all of the concerts you have attended. The journal will be an awesome thing to look back on for years to come.

2. Expand your music preferences

Everyone has their own tastes when it comes to various genres of music. Some people love the classics and cannot stand modern music. Other people love country music and wish rap music did not exist. Regardless of your musical preference, let this be the year that you explore new genres and artists. To do this, let your resolution be to discover 52 new albums. That’s right, listen to a new album each week, no matter how old or new it is. Listen to albums from artists you have not listened to before. Tie this resolution back to the one above, and attend some concerts of the new artists you discovered.

For the movie and television gurus

People who can be seen front row at movie theaters and their television is always on.

1. Create a movie challenge

Similar to the book challenge, create one that is dedicated to just movies. Create your own movie challenge or use ones that were already created. Pinterest is a great place to find them. If you are making your own, some ideas to get you are started are; a movie directed by your favorite director, a movie that takes place in a fantasy society, a movie from the horror genre, a movie with a long title, a movie that was released the year you were born, a documentary on an interesting topic, etc.

2. Mimic a television character

With all the shows you watch on Netflix or any other streaming service, you are probably engaged in one of your favorite shows. Pick a character from a show you are currently enjoying, or have enjoyed in the past. Think about a quality that the character possesses. What is it about them that you like? Is it their viewpoint on life, is it how logically they think, or maybe how organized they are? Pick a trait from a television character that appeals to you and take this year as the time to possess that same feature. Choose a trait that you believe will improve your life.

For the trend-setters

People who love to follow the fads and are always making a statement.

1. Change your fashion style

Like John Galliano said, “The joy of dressing is an art.” Consider 2017 to be the year of fashion. Change your style and experiment with patterns, color, and of course, the latest trends. Wear clothes that you love and feel both beautiful and confident in. What do you think the trends of 2017 will be?

2. Add more to your home

Each year trends emerge in more than just fashion. They also are seen through interior decorating. Keep up with what colors and decorations are popping up in homes and use that style as inspiration for your own humble abode. Last year, marble and gold accents seemed to be one trend that took over. What decoration fads will fill our homes this year?

For the nature-lovers

People who appreciate nature and all that it offers.

1. Clean up the Earth

It is not news to our ears, and eyes, that parts of the world are being swallowed up by trash. Start by taking time each month to pick up trash. Head out to parks, the sides of roads/highways, the ocean and other bodies of water, and even around your community/neighborhood. By picking up some pieces of trash, you will be saving animals as you restore their habitats and prevent them from becoming trapped in the garbage.

2. Get a green thumb

Have any empty space in your yard and do not know what to do with it? Think no more and transform that space into a garden. Plant flowers that attract insects such as bumble bees, butterflies, and dragonflies. Plant vegetables too and use organic, natural pesticides that make the vegetables safe to consume and are animal-friendly as well. Start your garden small and expand it come Spring and Summer.

For the chefs

People who are always cooking all the meals.

1. Cook new foods

Go through all of the cookbooks you have acquired over the years and are waiting to be cracked open and spilled upon with evidence of a delicious cooked meal. Pick out recipes that you have not made before and include ingredients that you never tasted either. Try new tastes and get creative in the kitchen this year. You will never know what extraordinary dishes you will come across.

2. Host more parties

Parties are the prime time to go all out with cooking and baking. It is also the perfect time to make some of your best dishes and show them off to friends and family. Hosting parties has more benefits than cooking and baking. It is also a great way to keep up with the lives of friends and family.

For the givers

People who are caring and love to help others.

1. Get involved

There are so many ways for a person to get involved in the world around them that will truly make a positive difference. One way to do this is to volunteer your time to good causes. Spend time at a library, a pet adoption center, create care packages for the homeless or ill, make cards for veterans, or work at a food or clothing drive.

2. Donate, donate, donate

Going along with similar acts from the resolution above, pick a few charities or organizations that are important to you. Donate a few dollars to each. Just five dollars can really help out a cause. Not sure who to donate to? Some great causes are World Wildlife Fund, St. Jude’s Children’s Research Hospital, American Cancer Society, American Diabetes Association, Doctor’s Without Borders, etc.

For the hard workers

People who spend the majority of their time working.

1. Save money

You work hard for your money which can make it rather easy and satisfying to spend it. This year, try not to spend money so easily and mindlessly. Work on budgeting your money and saving it.

2. Take time for yourself

It is easy to get caught up in the whirlwind of everyday life. Try to have this year be more about you. Take time for yourself, treat yourself, and do things that you enjoy. Avoid becoming too stressed and do something that helps you rewind and rest up.

So which resolution are you ready to take on this year?