13 Types Of Relatives You Will Have To Deal With This Holiday Season

We all have that one relative during the holidays...
219

The holidays are full of beautiful decor strung around town, holiday treats and being around loved ones. Well, some of us may be less excited to see family, to be honest. We all have those relatives that may make family events a little more awkward or less fun. Here are the types of family members that you will encounter this Holiday season.

1. The one who is always drinking

As soon as you walk in the door at 11 AM for Thanksgiving dinner, it never fails that the relative has a drink in their hand. It may be a glass of wine or a swig of whiskey. Either way, it will make for some entertaining conversation at the dinner table. 

2. The one that always teases you for something

No matter what is happening in your life, they will always find a way to tease you about it. Most of the time it’s an older cousin that rubs in the fact they are 21 before or they got Nintendo DS before you when you were eight-years-old. I am not ten years old anymore, so you can start treating me like an adult now.

3. The one that is always ready to pick an argument

And most of the time it’s about politics! The 2016 holiday season was REALLY bad. They do not have a filter. Even if it’s not politics, they are never afraid to speak their mind.

4. The one that always asks about college

It is nice that they ask but this is seventh time I have told you what my major is and the fifth time I told you what school I go to. Of course, once you start talking about your major there is always…

5. The one that always tries to talk you out of your major

Whether this is the same person who asks about college or someone who chimes in, they always think that you can go into a better career like becoming a nurse or try to convince you to become a business major. Thanks, but no thanks.

6. The Grandma that keeps offering you food

Now I consider this a blessing at times. A broke college girl like me doesn’t always have the funds to eat a full meal. When Grandma makes food, she not only wants to leave you full but with a food baby to make sure you aren’t hungry again. Even if you are, she will be sure to offer you any sweets that your heart desires. But sometimes, you may think your Grandma is trying to help you gain the “Freshman 15” all in one meal.

7. The inappropriate Uncle

He is always the one that turns family dinners from PG to R. You are always afraid of what will come out of his mouth or how bad it will be.

8. The cousin that brings their brand-new S.O. to the family dinner

No disrespect to people who do this, but if you have been dating for two months, it may be a little too soon to bring the new bf/gf to a major holiday dinner. It just makes it awkward for all of us.

9. The nosy aunt that asks about your love life

No, I do not have a boyfriend. No, I am not talking to anyone. And if you are dating someone, she would be the one to ask, “Is it serious?”, “Have you thought about your future together?”. I DON’T KNOW I AM IN COLLEGE STILL AND TRYING TO GET MY LIFE IN ORDER!

10. The one that eats no matter what time of day it is

They have a pre-lunch snack, a full lunch (like I’m talking three full plates of food), post-lunch dessert, mid-afternoon snack, pre-dinner snack, dinner and post-dinner snack. It is hard to believe they can fit that much food in their body.

11. The one that eats hardly anything

Then you have the exact opposite. They get maybe three items on their plate and don’t even eat all of that! There are starving children in Africa that could eat the quality food that you are having right now!

12. The uncle that tries to be cool and relate to you

You appreciate it, you really do, but they are always a little behind on what is “cool”. He is the guy that thinks the Harlem Shake is still cool.

13. The one that falls asleep after every meal

Who can blame them? Your stomach is full of good food and all is right with the world.

The saying goes that you can’t pick your family and that statement is completely true. No matter how frustrating or annoying they can be, they are family and you love them either way.