20 Things Learned In 20 Years

20 Things Learned In 20 Years

And no, math is definitely not one of them

34
20 Things Learned In 20 Years

I’ve officially been alive on this Earth for 20 years now. In that short amount of time I’ve met so many beautiful people, traveled to some incredible places, and have experienced some of the best moments I ever will in the entirety of life. I’m content with the amount of knowledge I’ve gained so far not just about the world, but about myself as well. Here’s twenty things I’ve learned in twenty years.

1. A day without laughter is a day wasted

If you aren’t laughing every day, then rethink your surroundings. I think I’ve been laughing since the moment I came out of my mother’s womb. I mean my senior quote was literally “hahahha”. Find the humor in everything and light up the world with laughter.

2. Be humble

Be proud but be humble. It’s really that simple.

3. Mistakes are good

I’ve mess up every single day of my life. Sometimes they’re small mistakes and sometimes they’re life changing. But that’s the point. If you’re living everyday by the rules then you aren’t experimenting, your limiting your creativity, and you aren’t growing.

4. Experiences over material items any day

Please don’t waste your hard earned money on material things. Yeah shopping sprees are cool every now and then but if you’re going to drop entire paycheck on something I hope you choose to drop it on a trip, or a concert ticket, or even a new book. Spend your money on experiences that will give you feeling no pair of shoes can. You can’t take it with you when you’re gone.

5. Love your environment

Look around you and take a moment to see how beautiful the Earth is. Weather you live in the city, on a beach, on a farm, or on a mountain, your environment has made you who you are. Love and respect it. Take care of it.

6. Stand for and believe in your values

Know what you stand for, and actually get up and stand for it. Never be ashamed of what you believe in.

7. Embrace Change

Change is scary but it can be good. You’ll discover, learn, and grow with it. I

8. Pura Vida

Literally translating to “pure life”, Pura Vida is a phrase in Costa Rica meaning no matter what your current situation is, life for someone else can always be less fortunate than your own. So you need to consider maybe your situation isn't all that bad and that no matter how little or how much you have in life.

9. Eye contact is important

Yeah, eye contact is important when you’re interviewing for a job or giving a speech in class but the whole point between eye contact is to establish a connection. Try to establish connections with people everywhere you go. Be genuine, confident, and direct.

10. Everything happens for a reason

Everything. I mean everything happens for a reason. The people you cross paths with, the places you decide to go, the opportunities you choose to take or not take always has a cause and effect. Stay positive and think big picture.

11. Respect, honor, and love your parents

They gave you life as you know it and are there to support you through every step of the way. As much as they may piss you off sometimes, they usually seem to know what they're talking about and somehow always end up being right. Cherish the time spent with them. Know that as you are growing older, so are they.

12. Acknowledge those who really care about you and disregard those you don't

Allow yourself to be loved by the people who really love you because they are the ones who really matter. Too much of the time, we are blinded by our own pursuits of people to love us, people that don't even matter, while all that time we waste and the people who do love us have to stand on the sidewalk and watch us beg in the streets.

13. Eat your veggies and lots of protein

Your body really is a temple and you only get one of them in life so take care of it and it will take care of you right back. Don’t eat trash or you’ll feel like trash. Get the proper exercise you need so you can feel strong and well. Make your health a priority.

14. Don't dwell on the small things

Life goes by way too fast to sit and bitch about small details that you can’t change. If you can change them, change them. If not, get over it. It’s that simple. You can always choose what you want to focus on in life so why not focus on the positive.

15. Don't settle

Again, life goes by way too fast for this. If you settle you’re going to be wasting precious time being unhappy and unsatisfied when you could have been chasing what you really want. Know your worth and don’t settle for anything less.

16. Be passionate

You have to find things that you love and you have to be passionate about them. You’ll achieve so much and you’ll learn that anything will be possible if you’re passionate enough. Let your energy flow.

17. Do want you want

You’re the only one who really knows what you want in life so go for it. Not everyone might agree with it, but not everyone’s opinions matter. As long as you aren’t getting hurt and you aren’t hurting others, I don’t see why you shouldn’t.

18. Have lots and lots of courage

Not saying It’s easy, but you don’t develop courage without surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. Step outside of your comfort zone as much as you can. It’s scary but most of the time it’s always worth it. You won’t get anything done in this world if you’re afraid of it.

19. Your existence has a purpose

It’s a complex question that philosophers like to spend their entire lives debating: what’s the purpose of life? Ironically I think they’re missing the whole point. That question may be too big for our small human minds but I do know that there indeed is a purpose. I may never figure out completely why God chose to put me on the Earth at this location in this point of time but I’m here. I live my life every day giving it purpose and making it meaningful and doing everything I can to make my life something.

20. Be happy

Happiness is a very simple concept and feeling. Pure, raw joy is the best euphoric high I have ever had and I hope the feeling never goes away. That’s all anyone really wants in life, right? Be a good human, do good human things, and be happy :-)