Tuning People Out For Your Health Is Okay.

I promise it is. Sometimes you have to look out for yourself.
43

When I was younger, I used to let everything get to me. I would over-react before actually thinking about the situation at hand. Admittedly, I think I still kind of do that, but I think I'm getting a lot better. People are going to be the way they are, regardless of how I respond to them. I think that's the hardest concept for people to grasp, I know from first-hand experience.

Odyssey has definitely been a way for me to get my feelings out in written words, although I never really shared any personal experiences, which might change. I have some unshared articles, that got deleted because I thought them to be exposing too much of my personal life.

As I continue to write for Odyssey, I begin to realize that being open and honest about your feelings, is the purpose of this outlet. There will be times where people won't like what I have to say, because there is no way to please everyone at all times, as much as I would like to.

Just because some people might not like my content one week, as much as they did the week before does not mean they care for me any less, vice versa. I am 100 percent open to hearing other people's opinions. I can't change what they think. But I do have an effect on how I respond to their opinion, however.

Getting older, and being a psych major has definitely helped me realize what I do, and don't have control over.