​The Truth About Seasonal Affective Disorder

Overcoming difficult mood swings in the long Winter months.

12

It seems just about this time of year every year, more and more people start to go out less and become more stressed than they ever were. Equating this to something as simple as the ‘winter blues’ is harmful to people who truly suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD - commonly referred to as seasonal depression).

Seasonal Affective Disorder (n.) is defined by the OED as a form of depression which tends to occur during the same season (usually Winter) every year and is characterized by loss of motivation, hypersomnia, and often a craving for foods rich in carbohydrates.

Scientists do not have a solid answer as to what exactly causes SAD, but some theories state that it is caused by hormonal changes in that brain that present themselves as attitude changes at specific times of the year. The theory says that the lack of sunlight in the Winter leads to less serotonin (a chemical linked to moods) in the brain which could be one major cause of SAD.

When someone suffers from SAD, it can cause them to feel overly stressed, have a loss in desire to attend social events, a bigger appetite for starchy, unhealthy foods which lead to weight gain, and feeling tired for the majority of the time.

Recommended ways to overcome SAD:

Exercise

In attempt to release more ‘feel good’ hormones, exercise can help put you in a better mood this season. Even if you aren’t in the best shape of your life, some simple yoga poses in the morning and before bed can help make a significant difference. If meditation isn’t your style, a simple 20 to 30-minute walk outside can help as well. The important idea is to get up, out, and active, in order to produce more of this hormone.

Manage your stress

A big part of SAD appearing in the Winter months is that stress levels rise around this time of year. There are holidays and school years beginning, which can easily lead to some extra stress. Things to help lower your stress levels include becoming more organized, making time for yourself, and making time for social encounters. Focusing on work day and night will leave you feeling trapped, so making time for friends is crucial.

More rest

Trying to deal with life is difficult enough, but when you’re exhausted it’s even harder. Make enough time for yourself to get at least seven hours of sleep a night. Feeling refreshed after sleeping is the best way to start your day, along with a morning routine that can get you ready for the day. Having a routine is proven to reduce stress and make your day go smoother.

Light therapy

Going on vacation to a sun-filled, relaxing place can have amazing affects on your mood. But vacations are not always possible with the schedules we put ourselves on, so light therapy has been invented. These sheets of artificial light can lead to the produce of serotonin and are proven to be somewhat effective and are definitely worth a try with minimal side effects.

The bottom line is to never let Seasonal Affective Disorder keep you down all Winter, because it can lead to major clinical depression in the long run. Doing one or all of these tactics can lead to a happier, more energetic sense of self.

Always contact a doctor at signs of depression and before taking any medication.