Photographing The Truth About Being Diagnosed With a Chronic Illness

The process of losing a past life to illness as told by pictures and poetry
12

Before the Diagnosis

Life is complete,

Nothing in the world can compete.

You love your job,

You never full out sob.

Friends are always there,

The friends that truly care.

Happiness overwhelms you,

You realize that love songs can be true.

Love is present,

Happiness is present,

Your life is not yet in descent.

You are healthy,

And that is so much better than deathly.

You are healthy,

You are lucky.

After the Diagnosis

Your world has been shattered,

You realized that few things truly mattered.

Support is nearing gone,

Many friends said so long.

You appear to be well,

As your joints swell and swell.

You are sad every day,

You never go out to play.

Like a withering rose, your petals fell,

You feel like an empty shell

The future disappeared in a moment,

There is no time left to repent.

Accepting the Diagnosis

Your life will never be the same,

Yet your body is the only one to blame.

If only you could keep it together,

Your hopes and dreams will come true never.

But new dreams will come,

You will find happiness in some.

Good friends, great job, happiness,

All comes back to you in the bleakness.

The petals will fall back together,

One at a time they will drift back forever.

Just give it time,

Do not worry, grieving is not a crime.

Life will get better,

Life did get better.

Cover Image Credit: Kaitlyn Brennan

3 Reasons Why Step Dads Are Super Dads

66646

I often hear a lot of people complaining about their step-parents and wondering why they think that they have any authority over them. Although I know that everyone has different situations, I will be the first to admit that I am beyond blessed to have a step dad. Yep, I said it. My life wouldn't be the same that it is not without him in it. Let me tell you why I think step dads are the greatest things since sliced bread.

1. They will do anything for you, literally.

My stepdad has done any and every thing for me. From when I was little until now. He was and still is my go-to. If I was hungry, he would get me food. If something was broken, he would fix it. If I wanted something, he would normally always find a way to get it. He didn't spoil me (just sometimes), but he would make sure that I was always taken care of.

SEE ALSO: The Thank You That Step-Parents Deserve

2. Life lessons.

Yup, the tough one. My stepdad has taught me things that I would have never figured out on my own. He has stood beside me through every mistake. He has been there to pick me up when I am down. My stepdad is like the book of knowledge: crazy hormonal teenage edition. Boy problems? He would probably make me feel better. He just always seemed to know what to say. I think that the most important lesson that I have learned from my stepdad is: to never give up. My stepdad has been through three cycles of leukemia. He is now in remission, yay!! But, I never heard him complain. I never heard him worry and I never saw him feeling sorry for himself. Through you, I found strength.

3. He loved me as his own.

The big one, the one that may seem impossible to some step parents. My stepdad is not actually my stepdad, but rather my dad. I will never have enough words to explain how grateful I am for this man, which is why I am attempting to write this right now. It takes a special kind of human to love another as if they are their own. There had never been times where I didn't think that my dad wouldn't be there for me. It was like I always knew he would be. He introduces me as his daughter, and he is my dad. I wouldn't have it any other way. You were able to show me what family is.

So, dad... thanks. Thanks for being you. Thanks for being awesome. Thanks for being strong. Thanks for loving me. Thanks for loving my mom. Thanks for giving me a wonderful little sister. Thanks for being someone that I can count on. Thanks for being my dad.

I love you!