Make America Great Again: Trump's American Dream

What Made 'Make America Great Again' So Attractive in the Eyes of Our Nation?

187
The Wall Street Journal

What does the President of the Free World stand for?

Life. Liberty. The Pursuit of Happiness. These values which once shaped our nation's most prestigious document have now come to embody us. We are a land of promise and potential. We emphasize progressive thought and design; we commend communal movements. We exercise our freedoms through the humanities, business and projects. And we put up a candidate every four years who a majority of us feel represents our ideals.

For over two centuries we have witnessed forty-four men step into the Oval Office and work tirelessly to make this nation and its great people proud. Using the pillars of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness as direction, they have navigated through grueling foreign policy, national controversies and pressing warfare. Whether they were Federalists, Anti-Federalists, Whigs, Democrats or Republicans, these men took steps towards establishing America's credibility and giving a voice to the common man, yet somewhere along the path they were blinded by their ambitious endeavor.

Through channeling an Andrew Jackson persona, Trump has cast a spotlight on the common man and belittled political norms. Trump's campaign urged its supporters to picture an America where taxation, job loss and political tycoons did not stand in the way of achieving happiness. By highlighting an export of 5 million national jobs to international competitors since 2000, and a burdensome tax on the middle class, Trump had voters storming their nearest voting booths from unheard regions. He ignited political passion by striking at its core: jobs, family and safety. 20 million people saw their American Dreams being taken by other countries; Trump offered them a chance to grab these dreams and bring them back. And yet while Trump's platform was grounded in patriotism, is the man himself a vision of the American Dream?

The historic slogan Make America Great Again says it all, Trump's campaign capitalized on a timeless American ideal. The American Dream, coined by James Truslow Adams in the Epic of America (1931), promised a land where hard work, determination and initiative would eventually lead to prosperity and success. While the Declaration of Independence (1776) and Constitution (1789) provided the framework for this concept, the American Dream itself has become an individualized experience.

Make America Great Again; restore the home of the free and the land of the brave to its historical supremacy. After the devastating recession of 2008 Americans started to witness the anticipated prosperity and success slip from their fingers. Unemployment rates skyrocketed along with foreclosure and a national decrease in wealth. Many began criticizing the American Dream, speaking of its impractical standards and outdated beliefs. Not only had many men and women failed to meet their idealized prosperity, but they were also feeling misrepresented and unheard. America had been a land founded on equality, a place where oppressive governments could not force scrutinizing policies upon their people. Through the glorious Boston Tea Party and American Revolution, Americans fought for these rights and for a country that personified the common man...where had these patriots gone?

In 1828 Andrew Jackson shocked the country with his victory over John Quincy Adams. Critics denounced Jackson as "crude, barbaric and even a danger to the republic" while as his supporters glorified him as the oracle of the common man (New York Times). Jackson focused on the men that brought America to its greatness, the everyday field workers who were invisible amongst the representatives in the government.

Similarly Trump jolted the country with his double digit comeback, playing the classic role of the underdog. Like Broadway Joe, Trump defiantly guaranteed victory and continued to send his key messages to America's heartland.

Undermined by corporate companies with selfish motives these working class Americans continued to see the rich getting richer and the poor receiving benefits, yet no one seems to be helping them. “As the safe routines of our lives have come undone, so has our characteristic optimism-not only our belief that the future is full of limitless possibility, but our faith that things will eventually return to normal, whatever “normal” was before the recession hit” (Vanity Fair).

The thorn of taxation was the central pain of the American people. In 2009, the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act was launched by the Obama administration in order to boost the economy out of the horrible recession of 2008. This act increased government spending by billions of dollars spent on new projects, such as roads, infrastructure and tax cuts. While this appeared to be purely beneficial, due to a decrease in unemployment and an increase in money circulation, this type of fiscal policy took its toll on the country. Expansionary fiscal policy, where governments increase spending immensely in order to spend a country’s way out of a recession, can lead to a decrease in activity in the private sector. At the heart of this private sector stood a troubled Trump, witnessing the erosion of his empire.

While Obama called upon 'change' in 2008 and 'forward' in 2012, Trump chose a slogan that reminisced on a glorified past. Does 'Make America Great Again' insinuate progression or devolution?

54% of men voted for Trump. 62% of citizens in rural areas voted for him along with 58% Christians and 81% conservatives. 58% of his voters were white and 53% of the 45-64 years old and 64 and older voted for the President. All in all Trump targeted the traditional American man, born and bred from the American soil. But is this the population of 2016 America? Is the white, uneducated male our poster child?

President Trump is by no means a Cinderella story. He was given money by his father and told to make something of himself. Nevertheless he then transcended ‘Trump’ from a family name to a universal brand. Does the American Dream only pertain to those that rise from ‘rags to riches’? Should we not glorify those that exercise their constitutional rights to fulfill the promise of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness regardless of economic status? I guess it leaves me troubled by the same question: What does the President of the Free World stand for? On November 8th we elected a President who used our hopes and dreams to elect him to one of the most powerful positions in the world, and for many this was seen as a victory. Just like Jackson, Trump has given his word to stray from the traditional, political path. He symbolizes rebellion, concern, controversy and yet for a hopeful majority of our population he symbolizes promise.

Does Trump embody the American dream, or is it just his campaign? If not then how can one lead a campaign based on an ideal that they themselves are not the product of?

"Thank you, America. I will not let you down. I will always be your voice. I will always be your champion. Now it’s time to get to work – to unite, to prosper, to become stronger. Together, I have no doubt we have taken the first step to Make America Great Again" (Donald Trump).