The 34 Executive Actions Trump has put Forward

And What they Mean

2
NBC News

During his first two months in office, our 45th president, Donald Trump has definitely put forward action by signing 34 executive actions. Most of which unsurprisingly invoked negative reactions fro;m not only the nation, but worldwide (because well...he's Trump).

Not all executive actions are the same; in fact there are three types and they each hold different effects and authority.

The first being an executive order, which is issued by U.S. Presidents and it is directed towards agencies and officers of the Federal Government of the United States. They hold full force of law, based on the authority derived from statute or the Constitution (via Wikipedia)

A presidential memorandum is another type of executive action issued by the President to govern and manage the activities, practices, and policies of the many agencies and departments under the executive branch of the U.S. (via Wikipedia).

Finally, the last type is a proclamation. A proclamation is a public and/or an official announcement that deals with a substantially important matter (via google).

That being said, here are each of the 34 executive actions signed by Trump:

January 20th: Priebus' Regulatory Freeze (Memorandum)

The Chief of Staff, Reince Priebus, signed this to direct agency heads to not send new regulations to the Office of the Federal Register until the administration has leaders in place to approve them.

January 20th: The Repeal of the Affordable Care Act (Executive Order)

As one of Trump's priority promises during his campaign, he intends to repeal and place the ACA, or Obamacare.

January 23rd: Out of the Trans Pacific Partnership (TPP) (Memorandum)

This memorandum gesture Trump's intent to withdraw from the TPP

January 23rd: Hiring Freeze (Memorandum)

This froze all hiring in the executive branch, excluding the military, calling for no vacancies to be filled, in efforts to cut our government's spending.

January 23rd: Reinstate the 'Mexico City Policy' (Memorandum)

This memorandum reinstated a global gag rule which bans American non-governmental organizations working abroad from discussing abortion.

This not only encourages anti-abortion/pro-choice activists, it also interferes with women's reproductive rights.

January 24th: Reduce Regulations for U.S. Manufacturing (Memorandum)

The president directed the Secretary of Commerce to look over how federal regulations affect our manufacturers, with the intent to figure out how to reduce them.

January 24th: Approving Pipelines (Memorandum)

Trump had signed 3 memoranda that are set to expand oil pipelines in the country.

(https://www.theodysseyonline.com/the-reality-of-th...)

January 24th: Expediting Environmental Review for Infrastructure Projects (Executive Order)

This allows governors and/or heads of federal agencies to request an infrastructure project to be considered as "high priority" so it can be fast tracked for environmental review.

January 25th: Cutting Federal Funding for Sanctuary Cities (Executive Order)

This calls for sanctuary cities to comply with federal immigration law or they will have their federal funding pulled

January 25th: Build 'the Wall' (Executive Order)

Another thing promised by Trump during his campaign, this outlines his intentions to build a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border.

This also calls for the immediate detainment and deportation of illegal immigrants.

January 26th: National School Choice Week (Proclamation)

Trump instituted that January 22-January 28, 2017 as National School Choice Week. This encouraged people to demand school voucher programs and charter schools.

January 27th: 'Rebuilding' the Military (Memorandum)

This action was created to direct the Secret of Defense, James Mattis, to conduct a readiness review of the U.S. military and Ballistic Missile Defense System, and to also submit his recommendations to 'rebuild' our armed forces.

January 27th: Immigration Ban (Executive Order)

This being Trump's most controversial order, he temporarily barred people from the seven majority Muslim countries: Iran, Iraq, Yemen, Libya, Sudan, Syria, and Somalia from entering the U.S. for 90 days, and refugees from entering until he decides otherwise.

January 28th: Defeating ISIS (Memorandum)

This memorandum directed Trump's administration "to develop a comprehensive plan to defeat ISIS."

January 28th: Reorganizing the National and Homeland Security Councils (Memorandum)

This removed our nation's top military and intelligence advisors as regular attendees of the National Security Council's Principals Committee (thus deals with policy issues affecting national security).

January 28th: Drain the Swamp (Executive Order)

This requires appointees to every executive order to sign an ethics pledge, claiming they will never lobby a foreign government and they will not do any other lobbying for five years after they depart from the government.

January 30th: For Every New Regulation Proposed, Repeal Two Existing Ones (Executive Order)

As claimed in the title, this order calls for everyone regulation the executive branch brings forward, two must be identified to be repealed

February 2nd: American Heart Month (Proclamation)

This proclamation declared February as American Heart Month to remember all of those who died from heart disease and to also promote to improving its prevention, detection and treatment.

February 3rd: Reviewing the Fiduciary Duty Rule (Memorandum)

This memorandum directed the Labor Secretary to look over the fiduciary rule that was put in place during Obama's stay in office, that was intended to protect Americans' retirement money from conflicting adviser from financial advisors.

February 3rd: Reviewing Wall Street Regulations (Executive Order)

This entails "Core Principles" of financial regulation that declared Trump's administration is seeking to empower Americans to make their own financial decisions, prevents taxpayer funded bailouts, and reduces regulations on Wall Street so U.S. companies can compete globally.

This action can end up rewriting regulations put in place by Obama and Congress after the 2008 financial crisis.

February 9th: Altering the Order of Succession in the Department of Justice (Executive Order)

This enacts a line of succession to accompany the U.S. Department of Justice if the Attorney General, deputy attorney general, or the associate attorney general die, resign, or are unable to carry on their duties.

February 9th: Reducing Crime (Executive Order)

As promised by Trump to bring back "law and order" in America, the president signed and order that is intended to reduce violent crime in the country, address illegal immigration, drug trafficking, and violent crime.

February 9th: Combating Criminal Organizations (Executive Order)

This action directs law enforcement to capture and prosecute citizens, and deport non-citizens who are involved in any criminal activity.

February 9th: Protecting Law Enforcement (Executive Order)

Thus seeks to develop new laws which will protect law enforcement, and heighten the penalties for crimes committed against them.

February 24th: Administering Regulatory Reform (Executive Order)

This order establishes Regulator Reform Officers in each federal agency who sift through existing regulations and advise which ones the administration should repeal. This directs these officers to primarily focus on getting rid of regulations that will prevent the creation of jobs, those that are outdated, costly, and unnecessary.

February 28th: Promoting Historically Black Colleges and Universities (Executive Order)

This order instituted the White House Initiative on Historically Black Colleges and Universities, this will aim to increase private funding to these schools, bring forward ways the executive branch can help these institutions to succeed, and influence more students to attend them.

February 28th: Survey the 'Waters of the U.S.' Rule (Executive Order)

The order is directed towards federal agencies to alter the Clean Water Rule, which is a significant regulation Obama issued in 2015 that clarified what areas are federally protected under the Clean Water Act.

March 1st: National Months for Women, the American Red Cross, and Irish-Americans (Proclamation)

These 3 proclamations signed by the president, called March 2017 Women's History Month, American Red Cross Month, and Irish-American Heritage Month.

March 6th: (New) Travel Ban (Executive Order)

This executive order Trump put forward, bans people from the six (predominantly Muslim) countries: Somalia, Iran, Yemen, Libya, Sudan, and Syria (Trump removed Iraq from this list) from entering the U.S. for 90 days, and it also bars primarily Syrian refugees from entering the U.S. for 120 days (this started March 16th).

March 6th: Instruction for Agencies to Enact the New Travel Ban (Memorandum)

This presidential memorandum gives information needed for the State Department, the Department of Homeland Security, and the Justice Department to put forward Trump's travel ban. This gives each department the directions to intensify the vetting of visa applicants and other immigrants who are trying to enter the United States, to release however many visa applicants there will be by country, and to submit a report after an 180 day period that details the long term cost of the U.S. Refugee Admissions Program.