Why Do Some Victims Of Trauma Suffer From PTSD While Others Can Move On

According to US Department of Veterans more than 2 in 10 veterans with PTSD also struggle with substance abuse

70
Google Images
"Most of us will experience some kind of traumatic event in our lives and most will exhibit some kind of related behavior because of it, these symptoms usually fade but for some those reactions can linger and start to disrupt their lives or the lives of those around them. These reactions can develop into full blown psychological disorders including post-traumatic stress disorder and, in an effort to cope, sometimes addictions - but it doesn't always have to be that way."
- Hank Green, Crash Course Psychology #31.

According to US Department of Veterans, more than 2 in 10 veterans with PTSD also struggle with substance abuse... Also, between 1/3 and 1/2 of women in treatment for substance abuse have experienced rape or sexual assault.

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (also known as PTSD) is defined as a psychological disorder that is generated by either witnessing or experiencing a traumatic event. The manifestation of PTSD can appear in a variety of ways, including nightmares, flashbacks, avoidance, fear, guilt, anxiety, rage, insomnia, and interference with one's ability to function or concentrate properly. Some time ago PTSD was more widely known as "shellshock", a term used to describe the conditions in which veterans of War would return home. Today, though, post-traumatic stress disorder is not limited just to the veterans of war. When identifying PTSD in individuals, professionals can refer to the DSM-V where the symptoms of said disorder are classified into four major clusters.

The first cluster involves re-living the event through intrusive memories, nightmares, or flashbacks. The second, avoiding situations in which are associated with the traumatic event. The third cluster describes excessive physiological arousal like the pounding of the heart, muscle tension, anxiety or irritability, and major problems sleeping or concentrating. Finally, the fourth cluster includes a pervasive negative change in emotion and/or belief, such as feeling excessive guilt, fear, or shame - or no longer getting enjoyment out of what you used to. Those who suffer from PTSD may also experience numbing, or periods of feeling emotionless or emotionally "flat". Dissociation is often common as well, feeling as if situations aren't real or are surreal, feeling as if time has slowed or even sped up, sometimes even blacking out.

When left untreated, individuals may start to feel desperate to find some way to cope and one way may be substance abuse. Addiction and trauma can often go hand in hand.

Case Study

Brandon was a combat drone operator in the air force, he enlisted at the age of 21. He spent six years sitting in a bunker in the American South-West watching Iraq and Afghanistan from surveillance drones.

He watched as soldiers died and some people were executed, in addition, he also witnessed children playing, people getting married, and goats grazing the land. But whenever the time came he ordered hellfire missiles to strike military targets or people who had no idea they were even being watched.

Although he was half a world away from combat he ultimately suffered the psychological trauma felt by many of the ground soldiers. He was diagnosed with PTSD. Brandon suffers no fears for his own safety, but still experiences the same intrusive memories, nightmares, depression, anxiety, and substance abuse of many emotionally traumatized combat soldiers.

Addiction

Psychologist today define addiction (or dependence) today as compulsive, excessive, and difficult-to-control substance use. This could include certain behaviors like compulsive gambling, eating, shopping, exercising, or having sex. Often, people with addiction may not even realize that they have lost control of their behavior for some time. People with addiction are sometimes stigmatized as pleasure-bound hedonists who have no self-control, but to do so is to fail to realize that in some cases their addiction is the product of their attempt to cope or deal with other psychological problems.

Addiction is secondary to a more complicated matter of how an individual person deals with stress and difficult emotions or what kinds of difficult situations they've survived. To those who dispute, saying that of which makes addiction possible is chemistry - people are different. From their life experiences to their biological sensitivities, which means that everyone is liable to respond differently. People in recovery may also have different needs - for example, Person A needs to be completely sober and to never touch that drug again or do that thing again while Person B needs to take the time to be able to regain enough control to use again in moderation.

Some people can kick their habits on their own, others do better with or need support from other sources. Regardless of the route chosen, recovery from addiction can be extremely hard - especially if there are underlying issues that haven't been treated.

The Struggle to Move On

"Why do some victims of trauma suffer from PTSD while others seem to be able to move on?"

Findings have begun to suggest that there may be genetic predispositions that make some people more vulnerable than others to trauma. Context and environment have also been identified as important factors also. In the brain, PTSD shares similarities with anxiety disorders in the way that the brain's limbic system may flood the body with hormones like cortisol every time the images of the traumatic event re-occur. When prolonged, the classic fight or flight reaction can be very tough on the body. In fact, neuroimaging suggests that trauma - or the chemical process set into motion by trauma - might actually damage and shrink the hippocampus. Since that region is also associated with how we consolidate memories, this might also explain how memories associated with the trauma could fail to be filed away as long-term memory and instead remain vivid and fresh through flashbacks and nightmares.

A Silver Lining

Some people may experience positive change after a trauma. Treatment and social support help some sufferers achieve posttraumatic growth, positive psychological changes resulting from the struggle with challenging circumstances and life crisis.

We are amazingly resilient creatures. When nurtured with the proper support and practice, we can overcome a lot.