It's OK To Cut People Off Who Are Not Good For You

Pay attention to people who are happy for you when you're happy.

252

After 20 years of life, I think it's safe to say that I have been in and out of multiple friend groups. So many times I've told myself that if I didn't keep certain people around my life would crash and burn around me. So many times, I've struggled to find happiness in these groups of people, and so many times I've sat in my room and blamed myself for leaving, for losing friends, losing people in my life.

i've learned in just a few years that some people are not worthy of your existence. And so many people are meant to just be a lesson in your story—a chapter— not a full, well rounded character in your story.

The lesson I learned after cutting so many people of in my life—my story— was to seriously pay attention to people that are happy for you when you are happy.

Pay attention to the unanswered phone calls when you want to tell you "friend" some good news, like a promotion, a new relationship or an A on your final portfolio that you worked so damn hard on.

Pay attention to the text conversations that started about you, and ended about them.

Pay attention to your "gas tank" are they taking some gas away from you, or filling it up?

Are you sucked of all energy after a night out with them? After a brunch date with them?

I think you might already know what to do if you answered "yes" to all of those questions.

Cut. Them. Off. Sis.

People like this are toxic, that may sound harsh but they are literally like the chemicals that you put in your body that the new warn you about.

I once wrote somewhere (in one of my thousand journals that I own) that it's better to have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Actually, now that I wrote that out, I probably got it off of someone's Instagram story or scrolling through my Facebook timeline.

But anyway, back to the point. I basically mean, quality over quantity. It's better to have four (or a small amount) or friends who are reliable, real, and worthy, than 100 friends who are basically pretty shitty.

I mean think about it, how many times have you walked passed a penny on the sidewalk because I mean, what in the world is that going to give you?

How many times have you searched your purse for a quarter because you need just an extra 25 cents to give exact change (which is super satisfying by the way), or to fill up the meter to get your nails done or grab brunch?

In our world that we live in, most would rather have a quarter than a penny.

You don't need a lot of friends to have great life. You need just one that will be there for you till the world stops spinning.

Stop keeping your toxic pennies, find your quarters.