To ALL Of The Toxic Friends I Have Left Behind Along The Way

Letting toxic friends go isn't an act of cruelty, it's an act of self-care.

149
Raw Pixel
I'm sorry that things had to end up like this.

Everyone deals with at least one toxic friendship in their life. Whether it's an acquaintance or best friend, the ones who hurt us the most need to be left behind. Unfortunately for myself, I tend to be a bit of a pushover. I let people back into my life over and over before I've realized they're no good for me.

I've gotten better at it. I still like to see the better side in people, but I'm getting better at picking up on hints that someone just might not be good for me to be around.

To the people I've removed from my life: You honestly must have seriously hurt me in some way if I don't speak to you anymore. I didn't intentionally do this to be unnecessarily rude to you. I never would have done something like that.

Sometimes I like to think we just had our differences and went our separate ways. Sometimes, I may be so hurt by you that I might just stop talking to you one day. I can't manage to find the words to express how badly you hurt me, so I don't. Sometimes, I need a break from this constant bullying, and it turns into a break that I never come back from.

I don't like to think of myself as a fragile person, but I more often am than not. I get my feelings hurt. My self-confidence takes a blow when I'm insulted. I have anxiety about my friendships, and I fear I sometimes say too many things that annoy you.

I'm human.

I've noticed a trend where you like to get upset with me and pretend like nothing's wrong, like you expect me to know why you're upset. This has happened too many times, and if I'm being honest, this is more than likely the reason why I cut you off.

Or, maybe you like to hog our mutual friend to yourself, so I have no reason to try to maintain contact with either of you. Even better, you knock me down so often and make yourself seem so much better than me that I had no choice but to believe you see me as not worthy of being your friend.

I've been through a lot with many toxic friendships, and I have no doubt I'll experience more in the future. But right now, I've got some of the best friends in the world, and I'm ready to take my chances.

Check Mate.