How to Create a Healthier you for the New Year Without Breaking the Bank

Exercise. Nutrition. Laugh. Positivity. Sleep. Repeat.

282
pinterest.com

With the arrival of 2017, many people have already begun starting or creating their New Years resolution list. Maybe their goal is to travel to a new country, and try some exotic food from that location. Or, do something daring and exciting that they may have been too afraid to attempt before. According to NBC News, the number one trendiest New Years resolution for this year is getting healthy, and this goal has increased by almost 14% according to data taken from Google search. Now, you may not be that kind of person who is overly enthused when their friend(s) ask if they want to do a spin or Bikram yoga class (it's like doing stretches in a fiery sauna), or that person who likes attempting to put fruits or vegetables in their mouths. However, getting a healthy start does not have to be a strenuous process, and you can make simple changes in your life without smashing your beloved piggy bank. Here are the top 10 ways to help you keep a healthy and fulfilled lifestyle during the New Year!

1. Before you go to Bed, Write down 5 Positive things that Happened during your Day-

End your evening with a cup of green tea, relaxing music/sounds, and a journal in your hands. You may have had a stressful or emotional day filled with papers, endless studying, a terrible argument with your roommate, a conflict with your friend(s), or simply you had a bad hair day. Make sure you don't go to sleep angry, or otherwise you may find yourself struggling to count sheep. Instead, end your evening by listing at least 5 wonderful things that happened during your day. If the dining hall served one of your favorite meals, jot it down. If you heard your favorite song on the radio, jot it down. Even if you did something as minor as beat a level or two in Candy Crush, jot it down. The more notes you write, the better you will feel about yourself.

2. Make your Workout Routine Fun-

Unless you have the ability like me to get up early in the morning (even on a weekend) to go the gym for an hour; you might struggle to find time out of your busy day to fit in a run, lift, etc. Even if you have 20 free minutes in between classes, you can squeeze in a simple exercise. If you are planning on studying with your friends on the second floor of the library, use the stairs and avoid taking the elevator (unless you have a severe medical disability or a leg/foot injury). Also, try doing lunges by walking up every other step. You can help tone your booty and hamstring muscles, and prep yourself for beach season. Also, if you are watching television in your dorm room or lounge and a commercial comes on, you can use that time to do jumping jacks, air punches, stretches, crunches, sit ups, or if you want to challenge yourself, push ups. If you are interested in joining a gym, some places including LA Fitness and Gold's Gym provide you with a free trial membership if you sign up online. Even a quick swim, sports game, or an intense jump rope contest with friends can help burn calories, and get you into better shape.

3. Eat a Balanced Meal-

Whether it's dipping pretzel sticks in a jar of Nutella, consuming an entire bag of chips during a television premiere, or eating finger foods during a college event, we've all had our guilty food binges. However, these binges won't prep you for bikini weather. You are probably asking yourself, how can I start making positive food choices? For one, cut back on your sugar intake a little bit at a time. According to my mom (who was a health educator Blue Cross), sugar makes you crave more sugar. So, the more sugar you consume, the more sugar you'll want. Make simple choices by cutting back sugary beverages/diet sodas, as well as sweet treats. It may seem difficult at first, but just remember to take it one day at a time. Also, make sure your plate is vibrant. Fill it with with nutritious food such as chicken, quinoa (one of my favorite grains), salads (go gentle on the dressing though), fresh fruit, fish, yogurt, etc. Just make sure not to leave too much room for dessert.

4. Sleep-

Even Disney princesses need their beauty rest. According to a 1997 study at Stanford University, the average college student needs 8 or more hours of sleep. Finding the time to sleep may seem like a struggle, but it's not impossible. If you are someone though who is becoming the king/queen of pulling all nighters, you may not want to be crowned in that specific title. Sleep deprivation has lead to major health issues including high blood pressure, heart attacks, obesity, and even depression. Also, staying up late may cause you to have snack cravings. So, make sure you have a healthy snack nearby if you plan on studying late for an exam, or working on an assignment. That way, you can avoid waking up guilty after "accidentally" consuming a basket of mozzarella sticks. And of course, catch some Z's.

5. Do Activities that you Love-

No matter how busy you are, always make sure to make time for yourself. Take a walk in the park. Go sailing. Paint a picture. Knit a sweater. Write a poem. Read a story. Visit a museum. Get a coffee. Watch a show/movie on Netflix. Do something that makes you smile and boosts your happiness.

6. Meditate-

Stress is a natural part of our lives. No matter how much we attempt to avoid it, it somehow manages to catch us in our tracks. However, it's how we deal with our stress can affect us physically and mentally. There are many ways to relieve stress whether it's venting to our friends, screaming in our pillows, or crying. But, if you are looking for a healthier and relaxing way to get rid of excessive stress, you may want to try meditating. No, I'm not suggesting going out and spending an excessive amount of money on a yoga class, or even a yoga mat. However, if your college offers free yoga classes, take the time out of your busy schedule to make time for yourself and relax. If you don't have a free moment to attend a yoga class, try meditating and relaxing before you go to bed, in between classes, or even before you begin your first class. Meditation can assist you with calming your mind, relaxing, and helping you feel less stressed during your busy day. Look, we all stress, but how we deal with it can either alleviate or escalate our stress level. So, don't hesitate. Meditate.

7. Volunteer-

(At a pet store in Maryland where the Washington College Animal Welfare club volunteered to do pet portraits with Santa to raise money for shelter animals).

Believe it or not, studies have shown that volunteering can provide benefits for your brain and body. Volunteering is not only a great way to improve your socialization skills and bond with others who share the same passion as you, but also helps motivate you to move around and get in shape. According to an online article by Harvard Women's Health Club, people who volunteer are more likely to have lower levels of blood pressure, and even live a long life. So what are you waiting for? Next time your college has an activity fair, make sure to sign up for a volunteer organization and start making an impact one step at a time.

8. Try Something New-

I'm not suggesting you start off your New Years resolution list by jumping out of a plane with a parachute attached to your back. But, if that's your goal for 2017, then I give you major props for having the bravery to do this daring leap of fate. The New Year is a great time to dabble in various activities, and find something that you enjoy. It can be something as simple as learning to make pottery. Drawing portraits. Writing a short story. Or, if you are an adventure junkie, it can be as crazy as climbing up the highest point of a mountain to see the sunrise. Just make sure to use your frontal lobe when coming up with ideas of new activities to attempt.

9. Laugh it Out-

Ever heard of the expression, "laughter is the best medicine"? I know I have several times throughout my life. Laughing may not cure the common cold, the flu (or as they call it in my college, the Muhlenplauge), but it can provide great health benefits. According to helpguide.com, laughing can provide several advantages including reducing stress, improving your immune system, burning some extra calories, relaxing the body, and even providing longitivtiy. So when in doubt, laugh it out.

10. Get Motivated-

Bored and have nothing to do at the moment? Now is the time to start organizing your life and figure out what you want to accomplish in the future. You don't have to become Superman and save the world. Nor do you have to be Rocky Balboa, and run to the top of the Philadelphia Art Museum in a day. But, you can begin creating small changes in your life by making a list of what you want to achieve, pushing yourself to attempt something new and/or scary, writing positive sticky notes and sticking them all over your room, set 10 small or 5 major goals, etc. Don't wait for another day to pass by. A better today starts with a better you.

Take these goals one day at a time, and remember that change does not happen magically overnight. It may seem like a lot to to take in a first, but you'll feel better physically and mentally once you've reached your goals. Laugh, love, and Carpe Diem.