10 Of The Most Eccentric NBA Personalities

Because there's more than athleticism among the greats.

1451
NBA

In honor of the beginning of basketball season, let's talk about the obvious, the players. I'm not referring to statistics, nor am I associating this conversation to athletic ability. But what will be the centerpiece of this list is how each of these players uniquely contributed to the NBA...in a very absurd way. Sometimes greatness is not defined by their amazing feats or their success on the court. Through their personalities alone, these outlandish players (the retired and currently active) added charisma to the league.

10. Blake Griffin

Blake is an odd character when he's in a commercial and most likely by himself. Since he's endorsed by Kia, there have been a great deal of commercials centered on him as a "time traveler". Griffin is like a slightly awkward kid in high school who you can't help but like and laugh at. Don't let the dunks fool you, he's a goofball at heart.

9. Russell Westbrook

Westbrook is known for his "ostentatious" style. It's actually quite a mismatch because he is one of the most serious players in the league. The man most likely goes to sleep with an effort of 110%. Just watch any post game press interview and prepare yourself.

8. Delonte West

When you're teammates with the best player on the planet, sometimes your own efforts are overshadowed. But when you're Delonte West playing for the Cleveland Cavs, and you're possibly one of the reasons why Lebron James decided to leave for Miami, anything is possible. West was romantically involved with Gloria James, the mother of Lebron. Trouble by the court side indeed.

7. J.R. Smith

First off, his actual name is Earl. J.R literally does what he wants and we appreciate him for it. This ambitious personality has a good time on any team he's on. Remember, it took President Obama for Smith to put his shirt back on after winning the finals this past June. Also, he's an unofficial "spokesman" for Hennessy.

6. Latrell Sprewell

My favorite player growing up hands down. I had Sprewell's jersey, posters, and figurines. Latrell had his own personal "touch" in the NBA. He was so passionate about the sport he loved that he "choked" his own coach during practice. Sprewell was also very verbal and faced a plethora of personal issues, but still went out on the court day after day and showed us how cornrows can change lives.

5. Gilbert Arenas

Irrational spending? Agent Zero is your guy. When you have a six year $111 million dollar contract, it's a little hard to spend it all at once...Wrong. Arenas has bought a shark tank, spent almost $700 on daily car washes, and owns a hyperbaric chamber in his bedroom. Besides his economic "discretions", Arenas just does stuff even in his retirement. He invaded Nick Young's (Swaggy P) home, made fun of him and his kids, and recorded it on his Snapchat.

4. Chris Bosh

When it was announced that Lebron James was headed to Miami, the world was in uproar but Chirs Bosh actually roared. Meme after meme after meme, Bosh's physical appearance was compared to that of an ostrich and dinosaur. His mannerisms were often mocked and he had a weird presence on and off the court.

3. Allen Iverson

The legend himself flipped the league upside down. Iverson was the NBA. He showed up to games in a long white tee and jean shorts, he put on for the entire city of Philadelphia, he was the reason why so many kids wore arm sleeves, and he was the reason they wanted tattoos and braids. If that's not impressive, the reason why there is a dress code in the NBA today is because of AI. The Answer also had an underground rap album. Also, practice was optional.

2. Dennis Rodman

You would think that "The Worm" would make it to the top of the list, and he almost did. But here's why he's almost the pinnacle of eccentric personalities. Rodman was weird, we get that. Different hairstyles, multiple piercings, and an absurd thinker. He wore a dress on more than one occasion as well. Let's not forget that he's a 5x NBA champion and also buddies with Kim Jong-un.

1. Metta World Peace a.k.a Ron Artest

Aggression takes a human form within Ronald Artest, but what I meant to say was within Metta World Peace. His madness has reigned supreme spanning two centuries. Known as one of the league's premier defenders, the man had a reputation to uphold and uphold it he did. Remember the "Malice at the Palace" brawl between the Pacers and Pistons? Peace fought the fans. He had a very scary look in his eye and continues to glow today. James Harden saw it, and guess what, he caught the "unintentional" elbow. His name change was actually the suggestion of his therapist in order to show he's on a new leaf. Metta World Peace is definitely the most eccentric NBA character based on his consistency throughout the years.