Too Crowded? Not The Eagles Backfield

Too Crowded? Not The Eagles Backfield

With a solid group of four running backs, the Eagles' crowded backfield could prove to be beneficial.

6
Too Crowded? Not The Eagles Backfield
Sporting News

After the Demarco Murray debacle last season, the Philadelphia Eagles were left with Ryan Mathews, Darren Sproles, Wendell Smallwood (drafted in the fifth-round this past draft) and Kenjon Barner in the backfield, with Mathews looking like the lead back heading into 2016. Three games later, it seems that Eagles head coach Doug Pederson has an interesting set of weapons on his hands, and a variety of ways to move forward with this group.

In the win over the Pittsburgh Steelers two weeks ago, the Eagles were without Mathews, but it didn't matter. Smallwood had his first big game as a rookie (17 carries for 79 yards and a touchdown), Barner had 42 yards and a TD of his own on eight rushing attempts, and Sproles led the way in receiving, recording 128 yards and a TD on six catches.

The highlight came in the third quarter when quarterback Carson Wentz scrambled away from pressure and lofted a pass to Sproles over a Steelers defender, who took it to the house for a 73-yard score.

So what does this mean moving forward?

First, the group could be used quite often again this afternoon against the Detroit Lions. The Lions, who defeated the Eagles 45-14 last Thanksgiving (sorry for the reminder), rank 26th in the NFL in total yards allowed (386.2) and have allowed the eleventh most rushing yards to opponents (114.5).

Combine these stats with the absences of defensive end Ezekiel Ansah (ankle) and linebacker Deandre Levy (knee and quad), and that spells good news for Philly's backfield.

Heading into week five, Pederson's offense ranks 10th in the league in rushing yards per game with 119.3, and were given a boost after the news that right tackle Lane Johnson will play in this one as he awaits for final word on whether or not he will be suspended 10 games for a violation of the league's drug policy.

The reinsertion of Zach Ertz (displaced rib) back into the lineup after a two-week absence means Pederson and Co. will be able to utilize their three tight end sets with him, Brent Celek, and Trey Burton.

In an article on Philly Voice, Ertz acknowledged these sets, especially with his return.

"We have three really talented tight ends, in my opinion, three of the best in the league," Ertz said. "All offseason there was a lot of work put into that (three tight end) package, and I think it’s going to grow this week because all three guys will be able to catch passes, no offense to Matt. We’re really excited about that package, and I think that’s going to open up everyone else in the run game and the passing game."

These sets will surely provide these running backs with opportunities, whether it's through the air or on the ground. The Eagles offense has already shown it isn't afraid to utilize each back, which keeps defenses on their toes.

If Pederson and offensive coordinator Frank Reich can put together another solid game plan, the Eagles backfield should be in for another big day as they look to avenge last year's horrific defeat and move to 4-0.