To Those Beginning Their Senior Year

To Those Beginning Their Senior Year

A few words of advice I found on the internet that are helping me get through the beginning of my senior year.

11
To Those Beginning Their Senior Year

I've just begun my senior year, and so far, there's little to say about it. It feels the same, but then I take a step back and realize that it really isn't. I've been trying to get my life on track, namely by reading certain inspirational things. While reading some I've had saved in my notes, I stumbled across one that, while I didn't write it, I think applies to myself and many other high school seniors, too. Here it is:

"Don’t wait for the right outfit, the right makeup, the right friend, the right boyfriend or girlfriend, the right time. Nothing is ever right or left or now or then. Do whatever it is now. This could be the last day. Take yourself out on a date. Go see that movie and sit next to a stranger. Don’t wait to compliment that person. Speak up. Tell someone you love the way they smile. Or tell them you love the way they never smile. Go to that new restaurant. Leave a tip everywhere you go. One dollar goes a long way. Sit at the table with the boys that spend lunch talking about video games and computers and technology. They crave change too. Go to the dance even if you are all alone. Put yourself out there. Don’t stay in a comfort zone. Don’t let yourself be comfortable, ever. Life is uncomfortable. It’s awkward, raw, and messy. Compliment that girl with the flat ironed hair, the bouncy curls, or the messy braid. Styling hair is time consuming. Get your hands dirty. Buy that pretty outfit. You don’t need to be a certain weight or size or height to wear it. Wear it now. Walk with purpose. Don’t make yourself small. This is a free country. Use all the space you want. Sit up straight. Don’t slouch. Listen to an older person. They have stories to tell and advice to teach. Thank your teacher, they’re only human. And goddammit, don’t you dare ever regret anything. Don’t let time pass with the hope of it being better the next day. It won’t be. School sucks. You get over it and wake up every morning and eat breakfast and brush your teeth and pay attention in class. Do your homework rather than complain. Get help when you need it. Talk to upperclassmen. Talk to lowerclassmen. Don’t take out frustration on yourself, ever. It doesn’t help a damn thing. Go outside. Breathe the fresh air. Plant flowers and trees. Join a club. Nothing will ever be easier or better or simpler. Do everything and anything today, and now. Be impatient with life. There is no written rule telling you to be patient with life. Grab your damn chance now, because this is all you’ve got."

Note to self.

This is something that I now read every day, not only to inspire, but to motivate. I sincerely hope that you will pass this along to others who need to hear it. I know it helped me, and I can only hope that it'll do the same for others.