Tips For Staying Safe On College Campuses

College is usually a safe place but it doesn't hurt to be prepared.

157
Unsplash

After seeing the "A Quiet Place" movie trailer, my mind started to wonder about how the characters had to remember the ways to stay safe in a pretty dangerous situation. I began to think about my own safety on a college campus and tips and tricks I have learned throughout my time on campus. College campuses are usually extremely safe; however, it is always better to be safe than sorry.

As our society evolves, there old and new ways to stay safe!

1. Always walk with a group or buddy (especially at night)

It is never safe to walk alone. It is always better to be with your friend or a group of friends.

2. Take note of all campus blue lights

Emergency Blue Lights are on almost every campus nationwide. If you hit a button on the lights, the police will be alerted and come to that location within minutes. The cool thing about these lights is that if you hit a blue light everytime you walk, the police can track your path if you feel like you cannot stay in one place.

3. Take advantage of campus security rides

If you feel unsafe taking a taxi or Uber home, most campuses offer Campus Security "Safe Rides." The campus has cars that will take you anywhere on campus for free. You can either order them on your campus app or look up the phone number for the service! This is an extremely safe and reliable form of transportation.

4. Be aware of campus safety apps

Some college campuses offer safety apps for smartphones. For example, Ohio State has access for its students to uses the Lifeline Response Enterprise App for free. In this app, you keep your thumb on the screen while you are walking, and if you remove your thumb, emergency services can be called. It is a great app if you have to walk home in the dark!

5. Use "Find My Friends" on iPhone

This GPS tracking allows your friends to see where you are. Yes, it may seem a little creepy, but in many circumstances, it is very helpful. If you are about to walk home alone or at night, you can have your friends track your location and make sure you make it home safely. This is good if you have friends who forget to text you when they make it home safely!

6. Have important numbers in your contact list

It is always a good idea to have emergency numbers in your phone so you can easily access. If you are in a dangerous situation, you most likely will not have time to look these numbers up on the internet.

Even though we have many procedures to help and protect student safety, there are a few concerns that as a society, we need to work on.

1. Head up!

I fall guilty of this sometimes myself. We must walk with our heads up, looking around us and not heads down, looking at our phones. Walking with your head down is extremely dangerous and a bad habit that a lot of people in society have.

2. Don't walk at night with music in your ears

When you have music in your ears, you are not focusing on what is going on near you, and you usually can't hear it either. You should always know what is happening around you so you never get put in a dangerous situation.

3. Don't let your friends walk home drunk alone

I know there are times when you are having fun on your night out and don't want to leave just because your friend was irresponsible. However, it is so important to walk with that person so they don't walk alone. When a person is drunk, they are much more vulnerable and accessible to crime.

Just remember, it is always better to be safe than sorry.