Tips For Starting A New Semester

Tips For Starting A New Semester

A new semester can mean a fresh start.

31
Tips For Starting A New Semester
Her Campus

As many schools (colleges, universities, and even high schools) resume classes in the next few weeks, I want to share some tips on starting a new semester. We all start the semester off dreaming of good grades and resolutions to do better this academic year; though sometimes we fall short of that. So, here are some tips to try making this semester a good one.

• Even if you had some bad grades last semester, it’s not too late to pull up your GPA.
    • Bad grades pull down your GPA, but if you work to make better grades this semester (or any semester), then it is possible to pull your GPA up. Some people say that your GPA doesn’t really matter, but that’s not true. You’ll need a certain minimum GPA to graduate, and employers definitely look at your graduating GPA if you are trying to land a specific job. But definitely don't let that define your life. Grades aren't always the best way to measure knowledge and learning.
  • Put Netflix away until you get work done.
    • Now, I am as guilty about this one as anyone else. I get so sidetracked by cool shows on Netflix that I neglect the work I am supposed to be working on. But, if you push yourself to put away Netflix until you can get your work done (and maybe get a little ahead), then things will go much more smoothly for you. I would suggest turning off your wifi, but 9 times out of 10, you need it to get work done.
  • Form study groups!
    • Studying alone can be boring and unproductive. So, grab a couple of friends (or just people you can tolerate) from your class, and set a day and time to meet regularly and study for those tests!
  • Don’t forget to eat.
    • You have that meal plan for a reason. Even if you don’t know how to cook, the cafeteria has food. It may not be gourmet dining or anything, but it’s usually edible. Usually. But to stay focused, you will need nourishment. So grab a snack and make sure to eat three square meals a day to stay charged up.
  • Utilize the library and other school services.
    • The library is a great place for information and different services. If you have a class that uses a certain program, ask if the school library has that program on their computers. Most colleges and universities will also have some sort of writing center that offers help writing essays. These tools will definitely help.
  • Don’t procrastinate.
    • Easier said than done, I know. When you have a big paper coming up, it’s a good idea to go ahead and start gathering materials for it. If it’s a paper that is due at the end of the semester, you have plenty of time to work on it; but most people tend to wait until the week before it’s due to actually do it. This is also the time when you have ten million other things due. So don’t procrastinate, or you will drown in stress and work.
  • Take time to chill out.
    • As important as your grades and everything else are, make sure you take time to just chill. It’s important to make sure you take care of your mental health as well as your physical health. Too much stress is not healthy. I know stress makes up about 90% of a college kid’s existence, but make sure to try and lower your stress levels.
  • Take notes.
    • Please, please, please take notes. Don’t rely on that one kid in class that actually takes notes to just let you use theirs. Believe me, I’m that kid who takes the notes. When I see people just slacking, sleeping, or working on something else in class, and that same person asks me for notes, I get legit annoyed. Take your own notes. You know what you will be able to remember or already know. Write down anything the professor repeats or writes on the board. These notes WILL be handy.
  • Show up to class.
    • I know, college classes aren’t necessarily mandatory, but you should still show up to class. A lot of professors take attendance and make that part of your overall grade. Also, if you don’t show up to class, you’ll never know what is on the tests or anything. I understand, sometimes you sleep through your alarm or you’re sick; but as much as possible, please go to class. You’re paying for school for a reason.
  • Do the readings and work!
    • A lot of people are so surprised when they don’t pass a class, even when they haven’t done a single reading or assignment. You can’t expect to pass a class if you do not do the work. Teachers like the students that actually do the work. Doing the work will give you better understandings of the class and material, and will make your life so much easier. So, please, do the assignments.

What tips would you give new students, or your peers returning to classes? Take these tips and any that may come your way to get off to a great start this semester (and try to hold on to them the whole 4-5 months)!