Even In The Wake Of Political Changes, My Hometown Couldn't Be Saved With Politicians' Prayers And Thoughts

Thousand Oaks has not only become a hashtag and trending on social media but also it became the 307th mass shooting of just this year.

119

When I moved to the United States at 6 years old, I moved to Thousand Oaks and have resided there ever since. It's a small but safe town and everyone basically knows one another. For the last 15 years of living there, I never felt unsafe even when would walk by myself to school, work, the gym, and other places in the daytime and even the nighttime. Although there was a very slow rise in crime and in the homeless population in the last few years, I still never felt unsafe living there.

My hometown was ranked the #3 safest city in the NATION until last week, Wednesday at approximately 11:20 PM when a gunman came into a very popular bar in town and killed 12 people and injured dozens from my community.

One of my coworkers messaged in a group chat that had many of my old coworkers included in it stating that she heard there was a shooting at Borderline Bar and Grill, which is where a majority of those coworkers go to frequently.

I grew worried since many of them did not reply immediately but as soon as they replied, I was relieved they were all safe as they chose not to go that night.

But not knowing what was happening, who got out safely, who got injured, and who got killed was what kept me up until 4 A.M.

By 4 A.M, 12 deaths were confirmed and I chose to go to sleep, hoping that the shooting didn't happen and it was just a nightmare. But after only three hours of sleep, I woke up knowing that this nightmare was unfortunately a tragic reality.

Although I only very briefly knew of one of the individuals who lost their lives, it hurt me so much to know that they were gone. My friends and the my community lost people who were their friends, their children, their significant others, their parents, their acquaintances and also lost their overall sense of safety.