Things That Wouldn't Kill You To Do

Things That Wouldn't Kill You To Do

Are these things really that bad?

40
unsplash

We all go through each day choosing to do and not do different things. Somethings we do because we have to, others we do because we want to, and others because we need to. On the other hand, there are also things we don't do everyday because we either don't want to do it, don't feel like doing it, are too lazy to do it, or are just not willing to do for whatever reason.

Recently I've noticed the amount of things people pass by without doing, and I can't come up with a good reason why they're not doing them. I mean, these are simple things that wouldn't kill a person to do. Allow me to give some examples.

Holding the door open for the person behind you. Me saying this may seem ridiculous, because we were all raised knowing that it's only polite to hold the door open for the person behind you. It's really the opposite of hard!

Saying thank you- Again, seemingly ridiculous to list this. However, some people just for some reason cannot bring themselves to utter the words to someone whether it was a teacher passing back a paper, someone handing them their food, or someone keeping the elevator open for them.

Helping someone who clearly needs it- I know you see that kid who just dropped their books everywhere, but you keep walking. That old lady could clearly use some help carrying the groceries that seem to be too heavy for her, but you look the other way. The homeless man with the sign asking for some spare change so he could ride the bus? You cross the street. I get it, some things make us have to get out of our comfort zone to do, but it's worth it, I swear.

Cleaning up after yourself- I don't know about any of you, but my mother raised me with manners. If I'm at a restaurant, I don't leave the table looking like a tornado ran through it. I don't litter, because I know, and you know, that there is a trashcan nearby. Don't ever give the excuse "it's the janitor's job", because the janitor's job is to keep the place clean, not to clean up after you!

Being respectful around certain audiences- I get it, you're with your friends and you're all having a laugh riot, cussing and what not. I say I get it, because my friends and I do the same thing. However, if I happen to be in a family-friendly place or a place full of families with young children, I am going to mind my tongue around them. Why? Because not only is it the right thing to do, but it wouldn't kill me to do it!

Not being a asshole- This is definitely the most broad example of them hard. It's actually a bit hard to explain. It wouldn't kill you to NOT make that snide comment about someone. It wouldn't kill you to NOT laugh at that kid. It wouldn't kill you to NOT be unnecessarily rude and sarcastic to everyone you pass or talk to. Honestly, the meaning is pretty much just in the wording of this one.....just don't be an asshole.

These are all just a few things I see people do everyday and think to myself "It wouldn't kill you to just do that." Of course sometimes I am a victim of not doing these things, most of the time it's because I'm not not noticing them as I pass them. However, I do always try to be on the look out to be doing helpful things that I know won't kill me, and I think you all should be too.