21 Things I Wish I Would've Known In High School

All the things I would go back in time to tell myself in high school.

Freshman year

Don't be that freshman that comes in and think that you know everything. Accept that you're an underclassman and just focus on your grades. This year is the easiest so use your extra time to be involved in extra curricular activities.

Sophomore year 

You are still pretty new, but now you will start developing a friend group. Be careful who you choose and if they're good influences on you because you become who you hang out with most.

Junior Year

The busiest year out of high school no doubt. You have tests that could potentially have a say in where you go to college at. You start looking at colleges and you have to start thinking of where you want to move after you graduate.

This is the year you will start taking AP classes so make sure you're focused on your academics.

Senior year

Senior year is full of lasts.

Last games, last dances, last time you will be around this community that you've grown with for the past four or more years. It can get emotional but try to have fun and make the best out of these new experiences to come.

Don't try to impress everyone

If people can't accept you for who you are then you don't need them.

Boys are completely irrelevant

The only thing boys in high school care about is their reputation, so don't be just another girl on a list.

Get involved

Colleges look at how many clubs and extracurricular activities that you were involved in, so make the best out of it. Join clubs Freshman year and by the time senior year rolls around you could be the President, you never know what could happen.

Clubs are also a good way to get involved in your community, and they teach you valuable life lessons that you'll always be grateful for.

Your GPA matters

For me high school was basically a big social time. You can't forget about your future and your goals in life, homework and tests in high school are so much easier than in college so there isn't a reason not to study and get good grades.

Don't stress yourself out

I know I have been telling you to get involved and to focus on your grades, but with that being said don't spread yourself too thin. Don't put more on your plate than you can handle.

Go to sporting events

So at my high school sports were a huge thing, if you weren't on the court playing or on the sidelines cheering then you were in the stands somewhere. This is a time to show your school spirit and connect with members of your community.

Grow in your faith

In high school was the time where I would define myself as a 'Lukewarm' Christian. I went to church but I also would go to school and gossip with my friends, it's just how things went.

This time where you are learning new things and getting more freedom to be your own person, I hope you choose to keep your faith a part of your identity.

Spend time with your family

They understand that you're growing up but I promise you they miss you. Your life gets busy and everyone knows that, but make your family time a priority. 9 times out of 10 you'll never talk to any of your friends from high school more than a handful of times but your family will be there forever.

Find your people

The friends you find in high school may not be forever friends, but they are what you needed at that time and they can help you through all those weird phases that high schoolers go through.

Confidence is key

You don't ever have to be ashamed if your family doesn't have as much as someone else, there will always be someone that has more than you. Own what you do have and show people your great personality.

Don't get caught up with temporary people

you will meet so many people in life and 90% of them will just be temporary so don't get sad about how it ended just be thankful they were there to get you through that time.

Don't get caught up in how you look.

The glow up is real my friends. Don't try to change your appearance just because you're at an awkward stage in your life.

Its not the end of the world

A lot of weird things will happen over these four years but if something happens one day and it really upsets you to the point you start to obsess over it, think to yourself "will this matter in a year?"

If the answer is yes then maybe find some possible solutions, but more than likely it won't and you should just let it go.

You don't know everything

You might think you know everything about the world but the truth is you really don't know anything. You are still a child and just embrace the fact that you aren't an adult yet.

Learn how to study effectively

Studying isn't just memorization and if you think of it that way then you will more than likely forget to material. If you make sure to have a general knowledge over the topic and study your butt off because in college they won't tell you what exactly to study like they do in high school.

Balance your time

Learning to balance your time is important because you will need to know this for the rest of your life if you want to be successful.

Don't fall under peer presure

You are still growing and if you let other people influence how you live your life then you will never truly know who you are because you are letting other people make all your decisions for you.

Take this advice with an open mind and I promise no matter how many times you think your mom is wrong, she is probably right 99.9% of the time.