12 Simple Ways You Can Honor Earth Day, Every Day

For centuries, humans and animals and different versions of us at different evolutionary stages have walked this Earth. However, in the last century or so we've managed to reverse the ways of sustainable living, and have started to live for convenience.

Animals are being abused. The oceans and air are being polluted. We have an entire administration ignoring the effects of people on this planet, thus solidifying the idea that this world is going to be irreversibly uninhabitable. But we, the people, can do something about it. So let's make Earth Day every day and make this world a better place.

Here are 12 small things you can do:

Recycle whatever you can.

It's as simple as choosing to put your plastic containers into a different bin. And if your neighborhood doesn't have a recycling option, there are most definitely other resources in your area that you can drop your recyclables off to.

Buy reusable everything.

Buying a reusable water bottle was the best decision of my life. I carry it with me everywhere I go, and there's always a water fountain that I can fill it up at, whenever it gets empty. Additionally, as college students, Starbucks is a part of daily life. Do your part and splurge to get yourself their reusable cups to not only save yourself a couple of cents at the register but also help the environment out.

Take your car to the carwash.

We waste a lot of water by trying to wash our own cars. Spend some extra money if you can and take it to a car wash every once in a while. It's better for the planet.

Take shorter showers.

Shower time is my favorite time of the day. They're just so relaxing and peaceful. However, having an Earth to live on is more appealing to me than my long, hot showers. Cut your shower time to be exactly as much time as it takes to clean yourself. Also, colder showers are not only better for the environment, but better for your hair and skin too!

Participate in Meatless Monday's.

Beef and meat production waste a lot of water and plastic. By cutting out even just one day of meat, you can help immensely, compared to not doing anything at all. And consider adopting a more vegetarian/vegan diet to make an even bigger difference!

Pick up three pieces of trash when you go to the beach.

The beach is a wonderful and beautiful part of life as a Floridian and as an earthling in general. However, humans are frustrating and like to leave their nasty debris everywhere. Be the better human and pick up at least three pieces of trash every time that you go to the beach and be careful to not make a mess yourself.

Plant a tree.

If you have the ability and land to do so, try to plant at least one tree in your lifetime. One tree can make a massive difference, and it'll forever be a landmark that you can go back to and see how much it grows. If you aren't able to plant a tree at your own home, consider forming a group at your school or work and do it as a service project!

Buy tote bags for grocery shopping.

Publix has been offering reusable tote bags for a while now, and rumor has it that Walmart is going to start doing the same. Reducing the amount of plastic can really help make a difference in your carbon footprint and is better for the environment. When you buy these totes, you don't have to just use them at Walmart and Publix, but you can bring them anywhere!

Try to carpool or use public transport. 

As a college student, the possibilities of carpooling are endless. However, on the off chance that you can't find people to give you a ride somewhere, or there isn't really anyone else for you to drive, then consider taking public transport. Sometimes it can seem intimidating; however, it's a lot easier than people make it out to be and it's better for the environment.

Stay informed.

So much about our world is changing, and it's changing fast. It's up to you to stay informed on what's happening and know what your role is in helping our planet. I'll give you a little hint, though, your role is really freaking important, so start working!

Watch Lil Dicky's Earth music video, and share it with everyone you know!

Lil Dicky and a bunch of other celebrities made a small video for his song "Earth." It's all about this beautiful planet and how much we don't want to see it ruined. I recommend watching it and going to his website that is shown at the end of the video to see what more you can do.

Encourage your friends to make a change in their daily lives as well.

Your part in making this Earth a better place than the way it was handed to us is so incredibly important. However, just like how we wouldn't thrive with the help of our friends, the Earth won't thrive without the help of your friends, too. So give them a little talking to, and embark on this journey of Earth-loving sustainability together!

I hope that you take some of this advice I've given you here and you take it to heart. Climate change is a very real epidemic today, and we need to do better as a species. Earth day is on April 22nd; however, we live on this planet every single day and we deserve to celebrate that in every moment we can.