There Is No Shame In Going To Therapy

There Is No Shame In Going To Therapy

Showing your emotions is a sign of strength.

323
There Is No Shame In Going To Therapy
YouTube

If you cut you hand badly, would you go to the emergency room to get stitches? If you were profusely throwing up for days at a time, would go to the doctor? So, if you are feeling depressed or anxious, then it would be appropriate to see a psychiatrist, correct?

Yes! But, even though this is true, many people are still hesitant to seek professional help. From my personal experience, I have found, that many people would rather deal with their issues on their own, rather than seek professional help.

Let me be the first to tell you, this is not the most appropriate way to deal with your mental health. If you continue to ignore your mental health, the outcome will not be positive. In fact, the brain is the third largest organ in the body. We already agreed that you would seek help if you sliced your hand. Doesn't your brain deserve the same attention? Doesn't your psychological well-being deserve the same attention as your physical well-being?

Even with all that being said, there are many obstacles that prevent those in need from seeking professional help. Lack of resources, finances, lack of a strong support system, or pride. In fact, perhaps our biggest barrier is our own pride.

But how can we change this? How can we begin to accept seeing a therapist as part of a normal routine?

The answer lies with those who are currently seeing therapists. It's up to us to share our story and wear it like a badge of honor. If we start sharing our story and showing that seeing a therapist IS normal. Perhaps we can start changing the stigma behind seeing a therapist.

This article is dedicated to those that are currently seeing a therapist. I believe that if you are seeing a therapist, that you should be proud. It takes courage and strength to show your emotions. This is a sign that you have a big heart. You are willing to be vulnerable. That my friend, is empowering and worthy of praise.

I myself see a therapist. I originally sought therapy to treat my anxiety and depression. But that was two years ago. Now, two years later my anxiety and depression is much better. However, my therapist is still apart of my normal routine, and I enjoy going to see her.

At my appointments, I discuss my day to day issues. I still have days where my anxiety is unbearable and my depression is all too prevalent. These are the days that I am thankful that I have a therapist. She has given me tools and resources to use when I can't get through this on my own. Honestly, she has saved me in more ways than one.

I've got issues, you've got them too. And odds are, its 100% okay to seek professional help for those issues. There is no shame in seeking help. In fact, I encourage you seek help and then, I encourage you to talk about it. While I am not the first to have this discussion, maybe we can make it a little louder.