The Year Our Childhood Sport Heroes Left The Game

Olympian names have already hung up their cleats but will there be more in store by the time the clock strikes 2017?

16

For many sports enthusiasts, one way to ignore your age is by living vicariously through your favorite athletes, especially those who sprang into the sport just as your interest in athletics began to take flight.

For my generation, we started religiously watching sports events between 1995 and 2005. Ever since, certain players have tapped our imagination and broken records that our parents’ heroes had broken a generation before. Just this year, some of the dinner table favorites took a knee and decided to hang up their ball caps. Peyton. Kobe. Tim. Marshawn. Justin. Here lay some of the best athletes to grace their respected sport, and by 2016’s end decided to call it quits.

Peyton Manning

Probably best known for breaking the record of using the word “Omaha” in the most number of creative phrases, Manning has also zapped the books with a few other NFL Guinness records like most career passing yards (71, 490) and touchdown passes (539).

What is ahead for Peyton? Some sources believe he will take over the coveted host spot of his brother’s former defensive end, Michael Strahan, on Live! With Kelly.

I’m totally kidding but wouldn’t that be an incredible idea! For those who remember Manning’s SNL days, I think many would appreciate his partnership on a talk show other than the “Bronx Beat”. For now, we may just be stuck with his Papa Johns, DirecTV, and Gatorade commercials. Which I love so it’s fine.

Kobe Bryant

20 years of Kobe basketball knew nothing less than two Olympic gold medals, 5 NBA titles, and plenty of baskets. His performance has earned him number three on the all-time NBA scoring list with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Karl Malone beating his 33,543 points. In retrospect, I think my best season as a middle-school baller reached 44 points out of about 12 games — you can see why I didn’t become the next Kobe.

And the next stage for Kobe?

Kobe Inc., his business venture, may be used for more than trademarking names and phrases like “Black Mamba” in the near future. Bryant has noted his passion for storytelling and may look to writers to bring his creativity to life in the near future.

Tim Duncan

Just a year shy of Bryant’s NBA career, Duncan brought greatness to the San Antonio Spurs. Duncan was MVP twice and an All-Star player 15 times. For Duncan, his respect not only came from him showing up to play but also because of the personality he brought to the Spurs. The former assistant GM of the Spurs, Scott Layden had said this of Duncan’s leadership on the Spurs:

“Leadership can come from many different areas, but when your best player is the best leader, it's amazing how everybody else falls in line. The other thing is how he's done it with such humility and modesty. Not looking for any attention and accolades. It's more of what is good for the team. ... Both on and off the court, he set the tone day-in and day-out."

But it’s only August and 2017 is still five months away. Some speculate another may have to stop grinding the gears sooner than fans had hoped.

Marshawn Lynch

More than just a running back, Lynch has brought greater prestige to the position with his “Beast Quake” patterns. You know the patterns where he breaks free of nine tackles and runs 67 yards to the end zone. Beyond its physical components, Lynch’s run was considered a divine intervention because it happened during a wildcard playoff game that propelled the Seattle Seahawks past the defending Super Bowl Champion New Orleans Saints. Although Seattle lost a game later in the divisional round, Lynch has always made big plays to give the Seahawks a little spur in their step. He finally earned his ring in 2014 against Manning's Broncos in Super Bowl XLVIII.

What is to come for Lynch is yet to be seen but he recently has been enjoying his favorite teams’ games, as well as doing his part to help other communities.

Justin Tuck

Tuck was a part of the modern day Giants dynasty, playing a key role in both the 2007 and 2011 Super Bowls against the lame New England Patriots. He may not have been considered the best defensive end of all time, but Tuck was a critical cog in the two Giants defenses that stonewalled the Patriots offensive machine in both Super Bowls. Although his final two seasons on the field were spent with the Oakland Raiders, Tuck signed a one-day contract with the Giants in order to retire as a member of the team he made his mark with. In the Giants history book, he will be considered one of their best defensive players.

You can expect your future Sundays to include analysis by Tuck. He may also establish himself in private equity and real estate and continue with his charity in New York, R.U.S.H. for Literacy.

Dale Earnhardt Jr. – Making the Case

Even before Jr. missed three races (Pocono Raceway is rescheduled for tomorrow @ 11 am…right when you are having that company meeting you love!) for a suspected concussion, he had already begun to slowly chip away at his prime racing years. Although NASCAR drivers aren’t ones to retire so easily, they do come to the age where they realize they only have so many bites left at the apple.

Jr. is 41, making him one of the oldest drivers in NASCAR at the moment. But it isn’t easy for the cheeky, lovable racer to decide the “right” age at which to retire when the history of NASCAR retirement has been murky. For instance, Jeff Gordon, retired at 44 but has since come out of retirement to drive Jr.’s #88 car in the Sprint Cup series. Also older than Jr. is Tony Stewart, who has announced that he will retire after this season at 45. On the other hand, Matt Kenseth at 43 has no plans to retire. Even one of the greats, Richard Petty, didn’t retire until he was 55.

The Hendricks Motorsports team may be easing us into a tearful press conference sooner than later. And it may be time for Jr. to spend Sundays with his fiancée, Amy Reimann. As sad as it may be, I can’t wait to see the stars their children will become!