The Three Fates and Me

The Three Fates and Me

How the three sisters have impacted me and mine.

210
The Three Fates and Me
Canva.com

Clotho, Lachesis, and Atropos are names most of us have never heard of, but they’ve heard of all of yours. These are the names of the three sisters, more commonly known as The Three Fates. They decide when you’re born, when you die, and everything in between.

The Greek myth says that they weave the string of your life when you’re born and the gods can intervene with decisions or actions that could change your life. These decisions stick with your string.

Most people believe that there is a higher being that influences our decisions and actions and has a plan for us. I however, being unreligious, don’t know what to believe. The only thing I do for sure, is that everything happens for a reason.

Whether we ever find out this reason, there is always a reason for things to happen. When someone leaves your life, it’s so that there’s room for an even better, more amazing human to take their place.

I’ve always thought that there’s a string of fate for everyone, it’s why things happen. But I’ve never fully experienced it until recently. People have come in and out of my life for the past 19 years. They stay for a while then leave and are always replaced with someone I see better fit for the position. Whether it was a coach, or a friend, or just an acquaintance, I’ve always been aware of people leaving, but there have always been others that came soon after, so there wasn’t a huge feeling of loss.

So, when someone left and I didn’t find a replacement quick thereafter, I noticed immediately. I didn’t know quite what to do, so I just did what I do best: push it aside and continue living. But there was always a slight hole where I knew someone was supposed to be. There was a hole that needed a replacement but no one was a good fit for it until recently.

The hole didn’t prove to be a big bother until things would come up and I didn’t know who to run and tell. I didn’t know, because the previous person is who I would run and tell before. I didn’t realize how much I needed that hole to be filled again, but I was also terrified to find someone for it because I thought they’d leave again, and then the hole would be back. So, I just let life run its course and figured that the three sisters had someone lined up for me and I just had to let it play out.

And one day, out of the blue, after weeks, I realized that Clotho, Lachesis, and Atropos had slid someone into my life to patch the hole. Someone I had no idea I needed so greatly until now. Someone that I appreciate so much. Someone I can relate to on a completely different level. Someone that I can easily talk to and venture with and want to go on more adventures with. Someone who saved me from myself in a way I didn’t know I needed. Someone who also needed saving from their own being.

So now, over a year later, the hole is patched and finally on the mend. The fates slid the perfect person in to fill it. I haven’t been this happy in a while, knowing that the hole is gone and I have another amazing human in my life.

So, I’d like to give a personal thank you to Clotho, Lachesis, and Atropos, because I have finally learned the reason behind why people leave.

Those people were never supposed to be here long. They left so that we have more room for the people we need in our lives, instead of the people we think we do.

And I think I’m finally prepared for my next lesson.