The Tales Of A Swimmer

The Tales Of A Swimmer

Swimming has taught me that I am so much more capable than I ever imagined!

20
The Tales Of A Swimmer
Hobbies for Couples

Swimming.

It is a sport just like any other. It requires dedication, effort, attendance, stamina, control, and patience, strength, and passion.

People who have never participated in the sport will not understand just how hard it is, or how it makes you feel. When I swim? I feel empowered. I feel alive. I feel as if I can finally take a breath of fresh air, escape whatever has been bothering me. I focus on my lungs burning for air, my legs and arms throbbing from kicking and pulling and exerting all my energy into this sport I absolutely love. At the end of a really good practice, my whole body aches and screams out in agony.

We swim up and down the pool, back and forth, staring at the black line for 2 hours. We count out strokes, try to space out our breaths, and focus on kicking hard and fast off of every wall. We focus on keeping our core tight with every movement, and pushing harder with every lap we do.

Swimming is very near and dear to me. Not only has it made me fit and healthy, but it has helped me block out whatever issue I may be dealing with, and has reduced my stress with daily activities such as going to school. While it is very close to me, I do not swim because I absolutely love it. Most people who swim actually hate it. But it has become a part of us. Now that we have it, we could not possibly live without it.

It is the feeling when you finish a long hard practice with your team members by your side, or when your team and coaches know you better than some of your friends. It is spending Christmas break swimming double practices, and not wanting it any other way. It is the adrenaline you get while standing on the block in your ready position, waiting for the beep to set you flying off the blocks. It is getting up in the morning to do something you love, yet something you hate, and you can not quite find an explanation to describe it to others. It is doing your team cheer at the beginning of the meet, and watching the boys team blow the conch shell which gets everyone riled up.

It is the special bonds that you have formed with your coaches, your team members, and your captains. It is sleeping at the end of a long day which held a long and grueling swim practice. It is chocolate milk and granola bars in the stair hallway right after morning practice, because chocolate milk is the best. It is bus rides to rivaling schools, and complaining while we change into our skin tight swimsuits because that is just how it is. It is blood, sweat, and tears and pushing yourself to the brink of throwing up.

It is pre-race jitters, and lining up with your relay. It is congratulating your team members on every race, and congratulating your rivals as well. It is wishing your friends good luck, and screaming from the deck at them to keep pushing.

It is all that, and so much more.